Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2011 6:43:20 PM EDT
Well...it finally happened today. I've been in the C&R game about 5 years and own about 10 C&R weapons...even went down the road to get my 003 FFL. I have purchased 4 mosins and never had any issues...I do a thorough breakdown, inspection, head space, firing pin, and cleaning prior to shooting...obviously I missed something on my fourth mosin. I went to a public range today and was shooting (or shot) Romanian light ball. First time to shoot this 1932 beauty today and (SEE PICS BELOW) I wasn't hurt at all and actually didn't even realize what happened until I chambered the second round. I saw the round impact the berm. No hot gas or anything in the face. I feel very lucky...lots of people at the range were snapping photos of the ruptured receiver. I picked up the steel and there was a split neck, but nothing crazy. I was pretty shook up. As you'll see in the pics, the receiver split in two right behind the chamber. Note the different color where the receiver failed...the discoloration indicates there was an existing failure. I really don't think there was anything visible on the surface, but maybe I missed it. I went and bought a lotto ticket tonight.

So....want to get ya'lls thoughts... Thanks for your thoughts

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you can definitely see there was an existing failure. I just wonder if the person that sold it to you knew about it
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Incredible, poor hex receiver.  Never seen one fail that way.  Glad to hear there were no ill effects to you or anyone else.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow...you see something new every day. I've never even heard of this happening to a Mosin before.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if that used as a club at one point?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow...you see something new every day. I've never even heard of this happening to a Mosin before.

Neither have I. Color me puzzled! The Hex receivers are supposed to be the "stronger" ones too! Glad OP is ok!
These pictures will remind me to make sure im wearing those shooting glasses!
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
The good news is you can probably get your money back by parting it out.

***And you didn't put your eye out etc.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The good news is you can probably get your money back by parting it out.

***And you didn't put your eye out etc.

True, hell it's a $75 rifle, buy a lotto ticket, sell the parts and buy a new one

Very odd failure i do have to say though....
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I wonder if that used as a club at one point?

A guy couldn't swing it hard enough to crack the receiver like that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Crazy,  glad to hear no one was hurt I never would have thought I would see a Mosin crack. I am thinking that it may have been worse if it wasn't a Mosin?
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Jumpin Gehosafats !!  I see you got your Mosin from R-Guns... got mine from there too... Not a hex receiver though mine's a 91/30 with a round receiver made in 1937
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 9:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Gaston say " u shoot reloads.  reloads bad"
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
yowsa
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 10:20:22 PM EDT
[#13]
sorry
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:10:57 AM EDT
[#14]
That sucks, but I'm glad nobody got hurt.

I recently picked up a hex Mosin from AIM that has the same import marks. I couldn't figure out who imported it until TheFlynDutchman mentioned RGuns. Apparently my glasses need more magnification for small print.

Any idea what the C'VIII *IL refers to?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I recently picked up a hex Mosin from AIM that has the same import marks. I couldn't figure out who imported it until TheFlynDutchman mentioned RGuns. Apparently my glasses need more magnification for small print.

C'Ville IL = Carpentersville, Illinois.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:01:02 AM EDT
[#16]
wasn't shooting reloads.  Romanian light ball.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:05:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Benn shooting these for 7 years now and the first time I have seen a receiver failure.  I have been a member of gunboards for years and nobody has ever posted anything like this there either.  I did reference this post on he Mosin Nagant forum there to see what the "experts" have to say.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:17:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Ow! That's painful to look at.

Glad you came through it OK!

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Interesting, thanks for sharing the pics, glad you are okay! Poor Mosin, though!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Benn shooting these for 7 years now and the first time I have seen a receiver failure.  I have been a member of gunboards for years and nobody has ever posted anything like this there either.  I did reference this post on he Mosin Nagant forum there to see what the "experts" have to say.

Do you have a link?  I looked a couple of places and searched google but couldn't find the thread.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Holy shit! Glad you're okay, that looks bad!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:50:38 AM EDT
[#22]
wow.... ive never seen that either

as mentioned, maybe it got swung like a club in battle- you would THINK the stock would have broke before the action cracked- but- MAYBE it did... being a refurbished rifle, the russkies might have taken the shattered stock off and never checked the chamber area. the only two other things i could think of are... maybe it got rolled over by a vehicle in battle,

or- what failed first- did the Romanian case rupture or did the action crack... tough question to answer for sure.

glad you are ok.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Makes me want to eyeball mine a little more closely.  
Glad you're ok.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:01:59 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks like there may have been some very deep rust pits at the point of seperation.
Old and well worn receiver just couldn't take the pressure any longer and let go.
Glad to hear you weren't injured.

Pics of bolt and magazine assemblies would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:12:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Will take some additional pics tonight.  Bolt, bolt face and magazine assembly showed absolutley no signs of damage.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Looks like you now have a wallhanger. At least thats what id do with it. Makes a good conversation piece. Ouch!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:58:44 AM EDT
[#27]
poor old girl :(

Glad you are ok
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 6:22:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Wow...I've never seen a kaboomed 91/30 before.  Glad you're unharmed.

Can you post pics of the cartridge?

55_grain
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 6:54:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Unforntunatley, I couldn't relocate the cartridge.  I handed it to the range officer and lost track of it during the ensuing hoopla.   There was definitely a split neck, closer to the shoulder.  I looked everywhere, but it was lost amongst the 10000 other cases on the ground.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, what is the receiver date?  It will be stamped on the bottom of the tang at the rear of the receiver.

Your barrel is a 1932 but the receiver could be much older.  It is possible it could have been cracked during the rebarrel process.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#31]
I will check the date on the receiver tonite and update
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#32]
If you'd have told me 20 years ago that I'd have seen mosin's blowing up in people's faces, I just flat out wouldn't have believed it.  What does it mean?  What's it leading to?
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#33]
wow...  never thought I'd see that...
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#34]
More info on this issue@:   http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?215325-MN-receiver-failure-posted-on-ARFCOM

try this http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?215325-MN-receiver-failure-posted-on-ARFCOM

See comment #4.  This was my thought...that the harmonics/recoil was what caused the fracture...I'm pretty sure I would have noticed  hot gas erupting out of the receiver.  The wood was starting sheer/shave a little by the tang as the receiver was forced back and LUCKILY stopped before it hit my face.  Had a young shooter (11 year old) with me...I told him:

NOW THAT IS WHY YOU ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION.    Still feelin lucky

Here is my conversation at the range yesterday:

ME: You wouldn't think a Mosin would blow up like that.

Range Officer: Yessir. We should a brought body armor.

ME: Does that look like about a '32 Tula,
Officer?

Range Officer: It could be.

Me: I'd say it is. Not a doubt in my mind.

Range Officer: First time you shot the old gun?

ME:  Yessir, first time. Gun probably used to club some Nazis, then the peasant took his k98, killed some other Nazi, swapped for his Sturmgewehr, and then again for god knows what.

Range Officer: That's very linear.

Me: Well. Old age flattens a man.

Range Officer: Yessir. But then there's this other (pointing at my other mosin)

He walks toward the gun rack

Me:...You shoot the Izzy.

Range Officer: You sure?

Me: Oh, I'm more than sure. Anything happens to my cousin's Izzy and I can tell you right now you don't wanna be the party that was involved.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Operation Edist Son???
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I sure hope them romanian commies weren't going operation eldest son on me!  If that was the case, I would think this would happen more?

The ammo came out of a sealed spam cam....opened by me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I sure hope them romanian commies weren't going operation eldest son on me! If that was the case, I would think this would happen more?

The ammo came out of a sealed spam cam....opened by me.

No not them, Someone could have tried to Eldest Son the Romanians.

We did one did One bullet per sealed case in Vietnam.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 12:13:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Sir -

I would NOT attempt to fire it again in that condition!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Good one!

I don't think I'll shoot that one again.

The online retailer (AIM) is going to refund/credit the full amount of the rifle no questions asked...great guys over there.  

BUT....the rifle is going back to AIM.

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Glad you are ok !!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Dayum!
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure

Some of the barrel markings

Better shot of the broken receiver at barrel

you can see the wood starting to shave where the bolt starting eating the wood..thanks wood

Picture of the entire rifle (sans receiver)...I had taken all the shellac finish off a few months ago and sanded...the applied MilitaryOx....

Another shot

Receiver dated '33

Link Posted: 3/21/2011 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Carpentersville, Illinois

(now you know why its abbreviated)
Link Posted: 3/21/2011 7:30:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Just send them the barreled action (or is it Actions?...sorry ) and bolt...and ask them to send a new barreled action. That way you can keep the stock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 6:33:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Dang that's nuts, I'm definitely ordering my first C&R from AIM. I've heard nothing but good things.  I can't believe they are going to warranty something 77 years old that they only touched for about 60 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 8:50:00 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Dang that's nuts, I'm definitely ordering my first C&R from AIM. I've heard nothing but good things. I can't believe they are going to warranty something 77 years old that they only touched for about 60 seconds.
78 year old rifle

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Wow, you can definitely see there was an existing failure. I just wonder if the person that sold it to you knew about it

The different colors on the receiver stub is a clue.

It appears that part of the section matches the receiver blue. I wonder if the crack was present and the rifle rebuilt / re-blued?
The fresh crack is raw metal color and definitely a new fracture.

The failure sucks but its easier to replace a rifle than an eye or face.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I agree.  I have no complaints on how this shook out

Link Posted: 3/22/2011 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dang that's nuts, I'm definitely ordering my first C&R from AIM. I've heard nothing but good things.  I can't believe they are going to warranty something 77 years old that they only touched for about 60 seconds.

They are good folks.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/22/2011 12:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Yep.  I have ordered tons of stuff from AIM and will continue to do so

Best stuff, Best service.  If you look in the AIM forum..note that Bryan (one of the owners) told me to call customer service....now Bryan responded within FIFTEEN MINUTES of my post...pretty amazing

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top