Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2011 3:59:30 PM EDT
On the phone with a friend of mine, his coworker offered him two Mausers that might be bringbacks. Typical sporter job, just cut stocks. One had a matching bolt and he didn't check the other. Assuming they have intact markings and are common variations, what would be a good price to offer? Condition other than being sporterized were typical-higher side of average. My gut reaction was to tell him to offer $100 each and replace the stocks, but I'm more into Enfields than Mausers so I thought I'd ask here. We want to get a good price without hosing the guy who has them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On the phone with a friend of mine, his coworker offered him two Mausers that might be bringbacks. Typical sporter job, just cut stocks. One had a matching bolt and he didn't check the other. Assuming they have intact markings and are common variations, what would be a good price to offer? Condition other than being sporterized were typical-higher side of average. My gut reaction was to tell him to offer $100 each and replace the stocks, but I'm more into Enfields than Mausers so I thought I'd ask here. We want to get a good price without hosing the guy who has them.

i think someone would be damn lucky to get those for a 100.

i'd say if all that was done was cut up stocks, then at least current r/c pricing to start.

rguns barreled actions are going for 210 and i am guessing that those are r/c's too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think someone would be damn lucky to get those for a 100.

i'd say if all that was done was cut up stocks, then at least current r/c pricing to start.

rguns barreled actions are going for 210 and i am guessing that those are r/c's too.

I'll keep that in mind. We're hoping to get both guns at a good enough price that if I buy one from him for his money back he can use that money to recondition his to proper configuration. I'll let him know to be willing to spend more.

I need a German rifle for my WWII collection too, so for the right price. I don't want to end up spending $400 replacing parts either so we'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm gonna say depending on the amount of "bubbafication" and what it would take to bring them back to original condition would set what I'd give for em.  Given if it's just the stocks cut, your looking at buying new stocks, and a bayo lug, and front bands, and more than likely a handguard.  So after you buy all that you'll have a rifle 75% or so matching, so price accordingly.  Now if anything has been done barrel wise, drilled or tapped, bolt polished anything like that your reaching the point where it would cost more to bring it back to original specs than what it would be worth really.  Just IMO of course
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#4]
nice r/c stocks can be had for 100-150 if you keep your eyes open.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
nice r/c stocks can be had for 100-150 if you keep your eyes open.

Yes they can, I picked up a nice refinished back to original finish walnut flat stock for my romy capture S/42G for $150 shipped. Looks great too, I'll have some pics up in the near future as soon as I fit a butt plate on it
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
shack,

just ran across a couple of threads on gunboards about stock mismatch 98 prices and if the bolt matches the receiver/barrel and there are no import marks, a more reasonable price range would be about 500 or so, but more detail is really needed to give a better opinion.

i'm somewhat new to the pricing of "vet bring backs". obviously, it really depends on who wants it and how much they want to spend.

myself, if the stock is the correct, but sporterized, yeah, that will affect the "market value" in comparison to unmolested 98's, but to each is own really. based on what you wrote, if the bore is good and the overall appearance is nice, i would not hesitate to go 400-450, probably more depending on code.

post pics if you get it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
shack,

just ran across a couple of threads on gunboards about stock mismatch 98 prices and if the bolt matches the receiver/barrel and there are no import marks, a more reasonable price range would be about 500 or so, but more detail is really needed to give a better opinion.

i'm somewhat new to the pricing of "vet bring backs". obviously, it really depends on who wants it and how much they want to spend.

myself, if the stock is the correct, but sporterized, yeah, that will affect the "market value" in comparison to unmolested 98's, but to each is own really. based on what you wrote, if the bore is good and the overall appearance is nice, i would not hesitate to go 400-450, probably more depending on code.

post pics if you get it.

Shows just how little I know about Mausers. My friend is working this deal and asked my advice. I won't be able to talk to him until tomorrow midafternoon to let him know what I've been told. What he did say is the coworker inherited these and has no idea ahat they're worth, just that they're Mausers. Basically I'm trusting his judgment and he might not even buy them, especially if they could be worth $400+. He was going to get them from the guy and research codes then go from there. My interest in Mausers just recently started. I'm used to seeing Enfields for $250 or so, haven't been looking at other countries' rifles. I have my M1, Enfield and a Mosin, looking for rifles from other countries and am more picky about the German than the rest. Intact markings are a must-I don't want something like a Mitchell's that has been scrubbed and restamped(or may have been, depends who you believe). I'm fine with replaced parts but missing markings are a dealbreaker(same with a Japanese rifle, but they're still a bit less expensive ).

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
He ended up getting them for $100 each. One is a byf44 and the other dot44. No import marks-one is all matchig as far as what's there, and the other has a mismatched bolt. Now to get him convinced to sell me one.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#9]
if i were you, i would not hesitate to get one for 200.

see if you can get more details on these two.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
if i were you, i would not hesitate to get one for 200.

see if you can get more details on these two.

Will do-we live about 2 hours apart so it's tough sometimes to see his new acquisitions. I think I'm about 5 guns behind in seeing what he's bought. Trying to talk him out of one of them, told him I'd be more than happy woth the mismatch-forgot to mention the one that's mismatched also has a mismatch triggerguard. For me, that's not a big deal. The big deal for me is the intact Nazi markings.Both have those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top