BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:07:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Clean rifle.
2. Buy lots of ammo.
3. Shoot lots of ammo. Get some stripper clips and practice loading with them.
5. Clean rifle.
6. Repeat.

If you want something tacticool save up your money.  A lot of other inDUHviduals have bubba chopped mosins already.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:36:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Coming here to ask how to "sporterize" your mosin is a bad idea. You may very well be put on trial and convicted of a capitol crime for doing such.

That being said, throw an ATI stock on it, modern scope mount and a bipod and you'll have a great gun.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a few unremarkable Mosins, they used to go on sale at Big 5 for about $75 so I'd buy one every once in a while just for something to play with.
I bought an ATI stock and scope mount/bolt handle for one of them, and shortened/recrowned the barrel (18" I think). It was my favorite of the bunch and the only one I really shot much but it still didn't do much for me.
http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-44-mosin-nagant-monte-carlo-stock.aspx
http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-47-mosin-nagant-scope-mount-with-bolt-handle.aspx
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had a few unremarkable Mosins, they used to go on sale at Big 5 for about $75 so I'd buy one every once in a while just for something to play with.
I bought an ATI stock and scope mount/bolt handle for one of them, and shortened/recrowned the barrel (18" I think). It was my favorite of the bunch and the only one I really shot much but it still didn't do much for me.
http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-44-mosin-nagant-monte-carlo-stock.aspx
http://www.atigunstocks.com/p-47-mosin-nagant-scope-mount-with-bolt-handle.aspx

Is this how you brought fire on the plane? Short Mosin Dragon's breath?

The fire wasn't my fault.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I think a reddot on the rear sight would be fun. The mount istelf is around $80
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:28:54 PM EDT
[#9]
first off, put a ati monte carlo stock on it. they do have some nice stocks at Boyd's but they will run you +$100.  Next you will need to scope it. I suggest either buying a scout scope mount, or removing the rear sight and sight block and using the dove tail to mount a traditional type mount. If you go the scout scope route DO NOT BUY an aluminum one, spend the $80 and get one here from Darrel. You will need to buy a decent Scout Scope or a pistol scope with a decent eye relief. Do Not Skimp on the scope, buy quality because the recoil will DESTROY cheap scopes, I know this because I did it. Red dots also work well, but for anything past 100 yards they tend to have to big of a dot for precision work. do not do the ATI screw bolt handle route, look up Boltman on google and get  bent bolt handle from him, he does great work and you won't have to worry about it coming off.  Glass bed the stock. cut 6-8 inches off the barrel and put a nice crown on it, and you will have a GREAT, Tough and unfortunately completely worthless gun, just like me. BUT you will have fun doing it. I know I did. You can sell the stock (even if it is not remarkable) on gunboards.com for $20-$30 dollars.

here is a great sticky on the gunboards forum
Dressing up a mosin

There is also a company selling machine gun barrels cut to fit mosin actions right now if you want to convert it to a Heavy Barrel shooting configuration (Weighs about 9 pounds)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
why not buy one that some asshole already fucked up ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I currently had no centerfire rifle.  I traded yesterday for a Mosin 91/30 that is unremarkable in every respect.  It is an Izzy 1942r with good bore, solid action and machining marks on the receiver that indicate it was needed in Stalingrad in a hurry.  The stock is solid but again, nothing to brag about.  No bayo or cleaning rod with it.   I refuse to bore you with pictures.

So, give me ideas, how to turn this perfectly boring rifle into something fun and exciting at very low cost.

You don't.
In five years, there will be no more $69 Mosins. Clean original ones will sell for $250. "Sporterized" examples will bring $100.

You could spend $80 on a plastic stock, $25 on a turn-down bolt and $40 on a cheap scope mount that doesn't work very well. When you're done, you'll have $250 in a piece of shit rifle that shoots an obsolete round. The gun will be worth $100 to someone who doesn't know any better. A knowledgeable person will avoid it like the plague because they know you screwed up a marginally historic rifle.

If you want a sporter rifle, sell the Mosin and track down a used Savage or Stevens or maybe one of the new Marlin bolt actions. It will cost $250 but it will actually be a good hunting rifle.

BTW, It's not about preserving history. It's just simple economics. Trying to turn a Mosin into anything but a crappy surplus Russian military rifle is a fool's errand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:24:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I currently had no centerfire rifle.  I traded yesterday for a Mosin 91/30 that is unremarkable in every respect.  It is an Izzy 1942r with good bore, solid action and machining marks on the receiver that indicate it was needed in Stalingrad in a hurry.  The stock is solid but again, nothing to brag about.  No bayo or cleaning rod with it.   I refuse to bore you with pictures.

So, give me ideas, how to turn this perfectly boring rifle into something fun and exciting at very low cost.

You don't.
In five years, there will be no more $69 Mosins. Clean original ones will sell for $250. "Sporterized" examples will bring $100.

You could spend $80 on a plastic stock, $25 on a turn-down bolt and $40 on a cheap scope mount that doesn't work very well. When you're done, you'll have $250 in a piece of shit rifle that shoots an obsolete round. The gun will be worth $100 to someone who doesn't know any better. A knowledgeable person will avoid it like the plague because they know you screwed up a marginally historic rifle.

If you want a sporter rifle, sell the Mosin and track down a used Savage or Stevens or maybe one of the new Marlin bolt actions. It will cost $250 but it will actually be a good hunting rifle.

BTW, It's not about preserving history. It's just simple economics. Trying to turn a Mosin into anything but a crappy surplus Russian military rifle is a fool's errand.

Tell ya what, Iets save time.  I'll trade ya even up for a savage.

You'd have to throw in at least $250. I suspect if you ask anyone who has completed the kind of project you're envisioning they'll tell you they sunk at least that much in the folly . . . .

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]

After piddling around with an ATI stock for a bit, I decided against the whole sporter project and went back to the original configuration.
One of these days I may come across a PU or PE scope and mount in good condition and add to rifle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:50:53 PM EDT
[#16]
if i had a dollar for every time that ive heard old guys say "back in the day, you could buy K98 mausers for $8 bucks, there were millions of them"  and now, a matching K98 mauser is $1200-3000 depending on condition / seller /  auction etc.

do i think a 91/30 will fetch $3K ? no.
 but they WILL go up in value- at least the ones that werent fucked with.

waste your money however you want.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:02:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They built 17million of them.  Some are worth collecting, this one is not.  . . .

It's also probably not worth sinking money into.

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk300/Highwayman223/m44/P2140219.jpg
I went KISS with my M44: chopped, shaped and refinished the stock, trigger and stock shims for trigger pull and free float. Total cost about 12 bucks.  No permanent changes. (got the wood from my buddy who went ATI)
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#20]
1. Boyds wood stock (bed and free float it)
2. Timney Trigger
3. Shorten barrel to the length of your choice
4. Bent bolt
5. Rock Solid or Jmeck scope mount
6. Add a scope and rings

This would make a nice "sporter" Mosin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Boyds stock, Mojo rear sight (not installed in this picture), barrel shortend, recrowned and clamp-on muzzle brake TIG welded on. It's mine, it's fun to shoot, and will do 3.5 MOA with surplus ammo.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#22]
SBR it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Boyds stock, Mojo rear sight (not installed in this picture), barrel shortend, recrowned and clamp-on muzzle brake TIG welded on. It's mine, it's fun to shoot, and will do 3.5 MOA with surplus ammo.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/9508/img2635v.jpg

Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Mosin-Nagant . . . $80
aftermarket stock . . . $65
scope mount and cheap scope . . . $80
bolt kit . . . . . $25
gunsmith charges . . . . $50

$300 for a rifle that shoots obsolete ammo to 3 or 4 m.o.a

compare that to something like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219658040
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
if i had a dollar for every time that ive heard old guys say "back in the day, you could buy K98 mausers for $8 bucks, there were millions of them"  and now, a matching K98 mauser is $1200-3000 depending on condition / seller /  auction etc.

do i think a 91/30 will fetch $3K ? no.
 but they WILL go up in value- at least the ones that werent fucked with.

waste your money however you want.

They built 17million of them.  Some are worth collecting, this one is not.  My son's is in much better shape and will not be messed with.  I think I'll start with the ATI stock.  Will I see accuracy issues with this stock?

No, yours is not collectible. It is literally the most common arsenal and year combination, in terms of production numbers.  What you should do with it will depend on what you want out of it. A workable standard-eye-relief scope setup is difficult and expensive because of the split rear receiver. You could chop the stock off, like the guy above, which accomplishes nothing except saving a few ounces of weight and changing the barrel harmonics (usually adversely). Beyond that, anything you do will be costly and by the time you're done you'll have $200-300 into a crude sporter that shoots 3-4 MOA at best and is worth $95, maybe. What the hell is the point?

If it's "just because I like to tinker," that's fine. But you could buy a used Stevens 200 for $250 that shoots a common, modern caliber more accurately without any shadetree gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:36:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Mosin-Nagant . . . $80
bolt kit . . . . . $25

compare that to something like this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=219658040

Man, you are not a big fan of the mosins are you?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mosin-Nagant . . . $80
bolt kit . . . . . $25

Man, you are not a big fan of the mosins are you?

No. Not really. I do own two of them, though. I've got a 91/30 and a Finnish M39 (which is a decent rifle).
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Scoped Mosins will do a lot better than 3 or 4 MOA with surplus. Hell, my sporter does 1" at 100 yards with handloads, so that's good enough for any kind of deer hunting I would use it for.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Why not just mount a scope on it instead of destroying it 100%?
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:02:57 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess I'll throw my fun waste of money into the mix.

1943 91/30 Mosin Nagant in cbrps chassis with Primary arms 4-16*40 scope.

Yes it's close to $400 now with all the bits and pieces, but it's been fun tinkering with it. It's a hobby... not an investment. (I have a portfolio for that!)

Let the flame throwing begin...
Okki
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I guess I'll throw my fun waste of money into the mix.

1943 91/30 Mosin Nagant in cbrps chassis with Primary arms 4-16*40 scope.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5294/5507400897_be890c4d1d.jpg

Yes it's close to $400 now with all the bits and pieces, but it's been fun tinkering with it. It's a hobby... not an investment. (I have a portfolio for that!)

Let the flame throwing begin...
Okki

Oh my . . .

I did look at their website. Some of the applications seem kind of cool. The Mosin bullpup . . . well, to each his own . . .
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, why not buy a PE scope and mount from Accumounts?  Then you would have a useable scoped rifle that looks like a historic sniper.  It would retain much of its value and you would avoid the laughter and snickering at the range.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#35]
If you're going to mount a scope on the dovetail under the rear sight and still use the original stock, you will need this. Regular rings just don't hold.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Leapers_Accushot_1_Pc_Bi_directional_Offset_Mount_w_1_Rings_High_11mm_Dovetail/2409
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#36]
crap a decent crowned, clean bore numbers matching K98 is going for that much??
Shit now I am kicking my ass for not buy that one for 250 the next day after picking up my m48a..
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#38]
awesome info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top