Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2010 5:00:52 AM EDT
I've always loved the 62a - I learned to shoot my grandfather's when I was 6 or so and it was the same one that my father learned on as well.  That one has been passed to my father and I will eventually own it until it is passed to my son and so on.  They are just great little rifles; light, easy to shoot and just look good.  Well this past Sunday I took my son to our local Cabelas store and low and behold there was one on the used rifle rack.  I picked it up and looked at it - big piece of the plastic butt plate missing- crap. I also noticed that the sight blade was missing.  I put it back down and started thinking - ok are these parts available?  How much?  It's a 62a at a smoking price...... what else is wrong that I can't see.

I walked a lap around the store showing my boy all of the mounts and made my way back to the rack.  A little closer inspection and the screws holding the wood forearm were gone.  With the rifle all locked down with trigger locks and zip ties this was about as far as I could go.  Did I need to buy this rifle, shouldn't I be savinging up for that '03 Springfield that I want?  I left.  When I got home I started to look in the internet.  Buttplate $16, sight blade $3, forearm screws $6.  

Needless to say I went back and bought it!  Yes, it is a C&R rifle, but I just bought it as a normal Joe Blow since I'm sure trying to do a C&R transfer would have made their heads explode.  Serial #110xxx and it appears that she was mfg'd in late 1940.  There are a few small dings in the wood and a couple scratched in the bluing, but other than that she's a beaut!  Barrel is excellent and rifling is sharp and bright.  90% or so on the bluing and all the mechanical parts are in excellent condition.

Replacement parts should be here today, so it will be a fun weekend project.

Pics - yes I know!  I will post some this weekend.

So, it looks like my son will be getting two 62a's at some stage........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top