Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2010 5:56:49 AM EDT
Hi Guys just got my C&R in the mail looking to buy a mosin. Rguns has M91/30 with Sniper Turned Down Bolt for $155 is it a good deal or should i go with a Hex. I'm just looking for a good shooter thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The RGuns rifle would be fine. Just so you know, the rifle itself isn't a sniper, but the bolt is likely from an original sniper. They also have (or did have, I haven't looked recently) ex sniper rifles for $99 (but with a straight bolt). That would be my choice, but I'm silly like that. For your first one (and there will likely be many), you may just want to get one with the best bore possible. Otherwise, spend some time researching and see what calls to you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Aim has them on sale for $69.95...just sayin'..
They will breed like rabbits too..
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
If you want an upgrade from the run of the mill 91/30s, SOG has Finn M39's. $239 for VKTs up to $299 for B barrels.

Bought my first Finn at a show last week and I'm bitten, really want a Sako and a B.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
AIM !!  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you want an upgrade from the run of the mill 91/30s, SOG has Finn M39's. $239 for VKTs up to $299 for B barrels.

Bought my first Finn at a show last week and I'm bitten, really want a Sako and a B.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Don't you mean you also need an Sk.Y, a no maker late dated (very accurate), and a Tikka too?

M39's are good rifles.

ETA: Aim's got 91/30's for $70 right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's my experience with Mosins. I own 3. An ex-sniper 91/30 straight bolt, hex receiver, 1934 date stamp. 1944 M44 round receiver, 1938 91/30 round receiver. The ex-sniper shoots about 1 foot low at 50 yards. The M44 shoots about 1 inch low and 4 inches to the left (with the bayo out), so kentucky windage comes into play. The same is true for the regular 91/30. In all honesty, Mosins are kind of hit or miss for me. man sized targets are do-able at 100yds but don't expect any real accuracy. You can adjust the sites and get lower or higher front sight posts, I have too many toys to shoot to really worry about a high standard for Mosins. Get a Finn if possible, if you want something cooler get a K31 swiss, it's the most accurate open sights C&R rifle I have. YMMV, thats just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Here's my experience with Mosins. I own 3. An ex-sniper 91/30 straight bolt, hex receiver, 1934 date stamp. 1944 M44 round receiver, 1938 91/30 round receiver. The ex-sniper shoots about 1 foot low at 50 yards. The M44 shoots about 1 inch low and 4 inches to the left (with the bayo out), so kentucky windage comes into play. The same is true for the regular 91/30. In all honesty, Mosins are kind of hit or miss for me. man sized targets are do-able at 100yds but don't expect any real accuracy. You can adjust the sites and get lower or higher front sight posts, I have too many toys to shoot to really worry about a high standard for Mosins. Get a Finn if possible, if you want something cooler get a K31 swiss, it's the most accurate open sights C&R rifle I have. YMMV, thats just my $.02.

Not trying to be argumentative, but only to find what the issue might be.

If you're shooting a foot low at 50 yards, there's something very wrong. For the others, you can adjust the sights very easily. You can't really blame a gun for being inaccurate if you haven't zeroed it.  Also, the key is finding what ammo the gun likes and they're all different. Personally, I think that  if the gun isn't shooting groups less than four inches (and that's bad) at 100 yards, there's something wrong with the equation. I own/have owned nearly fifty of them and have found that most will easily shoot in the 2-3 inch range, with the right ammo, if I do my part. Quite a few of those would do half  that. You should be able to hit a clay pigeon at 100 yards, with relative ease. It may require some minor hold over/under, but should be consistent.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...I hate you I might now just have to buy a few more...even though I have 4 and don't need any more.....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

...I hate you I might now just have to buy a few more...even though I have 4 and don't need any more.....

I had 13 of them and was stacking them upside down in the safe.I had to thin them out!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah...I'm sorta out of room in my safe...and gun cabinet....14 garands sorta filled up the one side.  The other side has all my modern long guns and some C&R's.  The cabinet's full of the random overflow and 91/30's.  LOL I litterally have them stacking up in the corner of a closet now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:47:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple more that aren't in this photo and one of the snipers (the left column are all snipers) has since been restored with an original PEM scope. The problem is that I buy them faster than I can take pictures of them.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a couple more that aren't in this photo and one of the snipers (the left column are all snipers) has since been restored with an original PEM scope. The problem is that I buy them faster than I can take pictures of them.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/mywifehatesmodels/Man%20Room/1936FinnedTulaPESniper012.jpg

I having the same problem with the pictures of mine.  You can't just get one!

My pic with the highest number of mine in it:

T2B: Soviet Refurb 1941 Izhevsk 91/30, 1967 M39, 1943 SAKO M39, Bohler-Stahl M24, 1942 Tikka M39, Finn captured and modified 1938 Tula PD marked 91/30

All of my Finns are really nice rifles IMO, and the fact that about half of them turned out to have antique recievers was also a plus.  The 91/30's are both OK, but definitely worth the price.  The bore on the refurb is trashed, but it'll still shoots well enough to hit out to 200m.  I think the biggest issue with the 91/30's are their triggers.  The Finn captured and modified 91/30 has a very smooth trigger, but it still has a heavy and long single stage pull which make precise shooting more difficult.  The refurb's is similar but also very grittty and inconsistent.

ETA: The obvious answer to the question "Which mosin should I buy?" is: All of them!
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are looking for a m39 you should try pat burns at this link

Pat Burns

She is wonderful to work through and has sales every once in a while.

I would go with AIM for just a run of the mill 91/30, that come with the bayonet and all the accessories, they are fun...wish I still had my m44(my very first gun). I sporterized my 91/30...I know it was a hack bubba job...still not done got to bed it in it's synthetic stock and put in pillars. And yes I did cut down the barrel to 24 inches with a target crown. And every day I wish I hadn't done it.

Been toying with getting an unmolested 91/30 but my cabinet is full. I have to agree with the above post about Swiss K31's truly the most accurate milsurp gun and you can find on some sites for as low as $150. but a cleaning kit will cost you another 10, the muzzle cap is 6, and a bayonet will be $70-100...so a mosin is still the best way to go there.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#14]
M39 Finn.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:51:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the help going to send Aim my CR and get one for $70.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/Russianfamily.jpg

I had 13 of them and was stacking them upside down in the safe.I had to thin them out!

what are the shorter ones, carbines? models?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f110/vassili67/Russianfamily.jpg

what are the shorter ones, carbines? models?

M38 and M44 carbines.  The 44's have the folding bayonet while the 38's never had any kind of bayonet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top