Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2010 7:13:36 PM EDT
I went to the range this weekend with a buddy, and he let me pop off a few in his MN. That was some serious firepower and I liked it. I'm thinking about getting one for use as a deer rifle. I checked my local shop, and they were selling barreled actions for $60. I can get an ATI stock for another $60, and a scope and a mount for around $100.

So, I guess the question is, should I even bother, or should I just get a "real" deer rifle? What says the hive?

Mike F
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Well - I was thinking about the same - nice to find an old style rifle that could serve a dual purpose.

Another rifle to consider - is the Swiss K31 7.5 Swiss Schmidt Rubin  - somewhat of a better deer rifle, and will be a bit harder to find cheap ammo for it.

I think the MN is easier to find ammo - one option is to go to AIM - a sponsor for the rifle with stock for 99.xx dollars.

I think Boyds has a nice stock - not quite a drop in for under 100 dollars. Worth checking out.

Brad -

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a deer rifle, buy a deer rife.  A remington 700, or savage 110 will better suit those needs.

If you want a Mosin Nagant, buy a complete one from AIM or Centerfire, or JG sales for $80-90.  Enjoy your piece of history.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
For ammunition sake alone I would recommend against the MN budget deer rifle.  Pick a more common US hunting caliber and I think you'll be much happier.

You're also getting a much nicer trigger, stock, action feel, and scope mounting options with a traditional hunting rifle.  All worth the money IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I say buy a complete milsurp, run some good hunting loads through it. If it doesnt do what you want or you don't like it get rid of it on the EE
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Right now, you can get a brand new Savage Edge, or a Stevens 200 (almost the same as Savage model 10 and outstanding for the money!), with a scope for around $350, or less, OTD. Both will likely be much more accurate out of the box and with less messing around.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 5:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the sanity check, guys.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Right now, you can get a brand new Savage Edge, or a Stevens 200 (almost the same as Savage model 10 and outstanding for the money!), with a scope for around $350, or less, OTD. Both will likely be much more accurate out of the box and with less messing around.

What he said.

You'd be starting at ~$220 for the MN, without a scope, and you'd have no guarantee that it'd shoot well.

With the commercial offerings, you at least have some recourse if it doesn't shoot.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well - I was thinking about the same - nice to find an old style rifle that could serve a dual purpose.

Another rifle to consider - is the Swiss K31 7.5 Swiss Schmidt Rubin  - somewhat of a better deer rifle, and will be a bit harder to find cheap ammo for it.

I think the MN is easier to find ammo - one option is to go to AIM - a sponsor for the rifle with stock for 99.xx dollars.

I think Boyds has a nice stock - not quite a drop in for under 100 dollars. Worth checking out.

Brad -

The K31 is simply amazing.  The Nagants have power, perhaps, but the precision of a K31 is incredible.  If you had to buy a comparably-accurate Rem700 in .308, you'd spend $800.  With the K31, you're in for a quarter of that, plus you get a removable magazine, better bolt manipulation and better irons.  So what if ammo is 50 cents a pop?  How much is .308Win?  I figure it's a wash.

If I had to grab any rifle out of my safe to shoot a deer with right now?  K31, no contest.  And just keep it standard.  The irons are plenty good enough out to ~300-400 yards.  Beyond that, the requirement to hold over for windage means I'd rather have something adjustable, but I get the feeling I could still do it if I took the time to really learn the sights.  But how many deer shots need to be taken at 300 yards?
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Good advice in this thread...

HOWEVER.

You should still buy a milsurp 91/30 just to have one... or three.
Link Posted: 8/31/2010 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Good advice in this thread...

HOWEVER.

You should still buy a milsurp 91/30 just to have one... or three.

I agree! I need an MN, a Mauser, and a Garand for the historical aspects of each.

Link Posted: 8/31/2010 4:03:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For ammunition sake alone I would recommend against the MN budget deer rifle.

You can always pull the bullets and reload with something else.  Any bullet for the 7.62x39, 7.7 Jap, or .303 Enfield will work.  Hornady, Sierra, Remington, et al make some very good bullets in .311.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For ammunition sake alone I would recommend against the MN budget deer rifle.  Pick a more common US hunting caliber and I think you'll be much happier.

You're also getting a much nicer trigger, stock, action feel, and scope mounting options with a traditional hunting rifle.  All worth the money IMHO.

pretty much, you can pick up 30-06, 308, 270, 30-30,, etc in pretty much Anytown USA, not always 7.62x54mmR

plus sporterizing Mosins is a pain in the neck, and the price for parts/labor you'd probably spend less money on either a decent used deer rifle or a new Marlin XL7 or XS7, Savage Edge, or Stevens 200
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:46:51 AM EDT
[#13]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:01:19 AM EDT
[#14]

I just bought one from Classic Arms. You can't  beat the prices they are selling for.  A stock Mosin Nagant will easily take a deer. In the real world, you don't need to shoot 300-500 yd shots with a expensive scoped rifle to go deer hunting anyway. Most of  us  get our meat at the grocery store and deer hunt for fun. At $69-$100, the Army surplus guns  are a good addition to the collection and something to have fun with.

I remember when SKS rifles were $69 and they made good truck and hog guns. Mosin Nagant rifles  will not be selling at cheap  prices forever.
  The guns at Walmarts/etc will more than likey always be there at the same/ or similar prices.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top