Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 5:44:25 PM EDT
I recently was given this shotgun handed down by my longtime deceased father.  I have researched this gun to find it is 113yrs old and other details.  This is an Ansley H. Fox design that he worked with Baltimore Arms on.  This was I beleive after he had had his own company producing and selling the Fox line of shotguns.  From excellent to poor condition I would say this falls under at lest GOOD.  There is not any corrosion or pitting anywhere on the gun that I can see and the wood is in good condition and the barrells look like they where put away clean.  Just needs a patch run through them because it hasn't been shot in at least 35yrs and I know that for a fact.  Barrels do not seem so show any pitting although a better look could be had after running that patch but they are shinny as they sit.

My questions that are still not answered in what I found are the following:
1)  Is it even remotely possible that at that age it can be fired or is it even worth checking with a gunsmith to see wheather or not it is in good enough condition?

2)  IF it could be fired, what ammo would it take.  Obviously 12ga, but would your current day walmart (new) ammo be used or was 12ga of today and 12ga of 1896 different?  This would be my biggest question.

3) And last, who would I talk to in my neck of the woods that can tell me anymore about the gun that I don't know already and can make a fair assesment of it's value?  This is a family piece and I won't be selling so an assessment doesn't have to be spot on, just a good ballpark for it's condition.  I am in Spokane, Washington (State).  

Hopefully someone here has a bit of knowledge or can direct me in the right direction.  

Thank you.

ETA:  I realized that some may ask for pics and I know I stated that I was given the gun and technically that is right, however the actual deal is that my stepdad tried to hand it to me to take home and I suggested that since I had inherited all the other guns that maybe my brother should have that one so he has it.  It would take a trip to his place to get pics.  I will do that if someone shows some strong interest in what it looks like.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Your gun may be shootable. Most 12ga of that era were 2.5" shells not 2.75. You can find the ammo on line as it is still made. Fox made some nice shotguns. If you can find a smith that knows antique shotguns that would be the only guy to trust. Your average smith would have access to the same info you do so there advice may not be 100% correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top