Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2009 8:43:26 AM EDT
just got an AC '43   P-38 today, decent bore, all matching numbers, perfect grips, 80 % bluing ( holster wear )

i havent taken it apart yet, but im wondering if i should really replace the springs asap so i can shoot it a bit, or can i run one mag through it, then worry about springs ( winchester 115 grain ammo )

i know it might only take 1 shot... but man, im stoked right now !

maybe 60-65% bluing not 80
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]

If you are talking about recoil springs, I'd replace it just for drill.

If you are talking mag springs, I'd get new mag springs, but I'd hold off installing them until needed.

Better get those pics up.  The P-38 is a favorite of mine.  Need a range report too.

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
ill have pics up in a couple hours. i knew i would take flak for that !

ETA im talking recoil springs. i would hate to damage the receiver / frame. at least im not shooting 147+P loads, but, like i said, sometimes it only takes ONE.
Link Posted: 8/22/2009 9:09:37 AM EDT
[#3]
camera is dying, heres one quick picture

Link Posted: 8/22/2009 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#4]
ok, i took a chance. me and the g/f ran about 20 round through it tonight.

DAMN it shoots SMOOOOOTH ! nice trigger, smooth recoil.. Zee Germans sure new how to build a pistol !!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If it was in that good of shape it probably wasn't fired that much,and that's what causes the recoil springs to get weak.

And you just take your thumbnail or so and lift the front of the spring off the spring stop.and lift it up.

And when you put it on you will need any small gear(small needle nose plyers.ect)after you get half of it on to hold the spring
passive till you get it on the front spring stop again!   It's not hard but anybody can make anything hard!

The German Lugar people tell us how simple it is and only has 2 screws to hold it together(the grips) but the P-38 has less
parts and only one screw(the grip screw)to hold it together!  Yes the Germans made some good pistols and Berreta copied
many pistols and great shot-guns after them.  The whole Beretta 300-390,Al 390 use the same lock up!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top