Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 6:35:28 PM EDT
I was given a German Mauser this weekend by a family member. This is my first 98 and I don't know anything about them I think this was made in 1940 at the Steyr-Daimler Puch factory. Can anyone confirm this?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:59:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It looks like your info is correct, I copied this from the Mauser  98K website;

660  48  505n  130492  1940  Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr
here's the address:
http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It looks like your info is correct, I copied this from the Mauser 98K website;

660 48 505n 130492 1940 Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr

here's the address:

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

Thanks for the link. There seems to be a large amount of info there.

I have a lot of research to do. This thing is covered with German markings.  All the numbers match so I assume it was never rebuilt.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have the bring back papers and the bolt matches as well it's quite rare, I believe. (Maybe you should send it to me for safe keeping
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Every number I have found on it matches even on the screws. It seems like the stock has been refinished because it looks so good but all of the markings in the wood are so clear I am not sure if it is original or not.

I don't have any papers on it and the original owner is dead. He served in WWII an could have very well brought it back. They are in laws and the only family members that are still alive don't know or care where it came from. They were happy to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:44:40 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a shame no one cared about it.  A piece of history for our country/world and their own family as well.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a nice early K98 you got there. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#7]
nice rifle, even has the sling... still got the swats on it? whatever the case dont mess with it :)
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
more pics please, that looks like a really nice one
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Thanks for the input guys.

I have no intentions of doing anything to the rifle. I know that any work will decrease the value of old firearm in most cases.

I have never looked twice at a Mauser before this one. When it shown to me I was kind of blown away. I have several WWII pieces but none from Germany. My interest has always been in sub guns.

My camera is having a hard time focusing on the markings. It only has an auto focus and it blurs the pictures up close most of the time. I am checking with some friends to see if anyone has a camera with a manual focus.

I also did not mention two engravings done with an electric pencil on the base plate and front sling band. I am not sure what they are.

Here are the pics I was able to get clear with my camera.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#10]
bolt numbers are legit. thats how that rifle originally left the factory ( stampings wise )   its common to find these rifles where some asshole took a mis-match rifle and restamped new numbers to make it " Matching" for more $$$

stock looks ok, i cant ever tell by pics if they have been sanded but it looks great, shows alot of the red glue laminate- nice color.

how is the bore condition?

being early war, and a 660 code, you have a more rare rifle than say a DOT or DOU '44 code.

you have just been given a 1200-1500 dollar gift if the stock isnt sanded to hell, but i dont think it is. the markings are too crisp.

looks like the front sight is grooved for the sight hood. an original is about $30-35 dollars, dont buy a crappy repro hood. its missing the cleaning rod, it could take the 10" rod or the 12" rod- they changed the length early in the war. an original rod, again is in the $30-40 range.

the engraving on the floor plate is an issue- definitely not the German armorer since the numbers on the floor plate match the rest of the rifle, possibly a "Rack" number / designation for german post- or something the Vet did when he brought it back.

you have a VERY expensive gift.

EDIT- the sling alone is worth $100 +

and no need to blur out the serial number- they did the same S.N. numerous times, just changed it every 10,000 rifles by adding a letter suffix to it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

bolt numbers are legit. thats how that rifle originally left the factory ( stampings wise ) its common to find these rifles where some asshole took a mis-match rifle and restamped new numbers to make it " Matching" for more $$$

stock looks ok, i cant ever tell by pics if they have been sanded but it looks great, shows alot of the red glue laminate- nice color.

how is the bore condition?

being early war, and a 660 code, you have a more rare rifle than say a DOT or DOU '44 code.

you have just been given a 1200-1500 dollar gift if the stock isnt sanded to hell, but i dont think it is. the markings are too crisp.

looks like the front sight is grooved for the sight hood. an original is about $30-35 dollars, dont buy a crappy repro hood. its missing the cleaning rod, it could take the 10" rod or the 12" rod- they changed the length early in the war. an original rod, again is in the $30-40 range.

the engraving on the floor plate is an issue- definitely not the German armorer since the numbers on the floor plate match the rest of the rifle, possibly a "Rack" number / designation for german post- or something the Vet did when he brought it back.

you have a VERY expensive gift.

EDIT- the sling alone is worth $100 +

and no need to blur out the serial number- they did the same S.N. numerous times, just changed it every 10,000 rifles by adding a letter suffix to it.

The stock does not appear to have been sanded to me.

The bore looks good.

I will have to check the front sight tomorrow.

Can I check the cleaning rod length with a dowel rod?

Do you have a good source for original parts? I have seen some at IMA while searching for info.

Thanks for the information.

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
a dowel rod helps for checking proper length of cleaning rod. it can be very hit or miss, some factories didnt switch rod lengths at the same time or until old parts ran out etc

a repro hood will be half as thick as a real one... a real one takes a serious pair of snap ring pliers to put on. so youll know the difference just by thickness and tension.

instant message on the way-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top