Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 6:02:41 PM EDT
I just sold my 1965 Enfield 2A (from MN to GA).  The buyer said he will pay for it, but wants me to ship it to his friend who has the C&R.  I said it sounded funny, and that the funds should be coming from the same guy as the C&R.  He said, no problem, he'd just have his C&R friend pay for it...

When I look into my yellow ATF manual, I don't see ANY provision for this kind of deal. ALL I see is that on out of state transfers, the buyer has to come to my state in person and fill out a 4473, or the rifle has to be shipped C&R to C&R.  (Well, it seems that a non-C&R can ship to a C&R, as well).   The buyer said his friend looked and didn't see anything prohibiting it.

Am I missing their more liberal interpretation somewhere in the ATF manual?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
AFAIK if you ship to the C&R, the responsibility becomes his.  Assuming his C&R is legit, you're GTG.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#2]
If you sell it to the C&R holder, it's not your problem anymore.  Just keep your bound book in order.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 3:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
This is not a good situation.  I would not sell to them.  The other C&R holder is acting as a dealer and you know about it and are a party in the transaction.  Ship it to an 01 FFL or not at all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I had pretty much the exact thing happen to me, guy wanted to buy a gun, but to send to his friend, told him I couldnt do that, shipped it to an regular FFL instead. If he wanted to have the benefits of a C&R he should have gotten one himself, it just dont feel right when something like that happens even though it could be totally innocent. The way I look at it is like the line from the movie office space, when dealing with firearms " they dont send you to blue collar conqiucal visits prison, they send you to federal pound you in the ass prison"
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is not a good situation.  I would not sell to them.  The other C&R holder is acting as a dealer and you know about it and are a party in the transaction.  Ship it to an 01 FFL or not at all.

That right there. 03FFL blatantly acting as a dealer. That's some bad juju there.  There is no way in hell I would be a party to that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I see the majority of people feel the way I do in this situation.  I called my local FFL, here, and he concurred.  This transaction will only proceed by being transferred through a gun shop/FFL on the buyer's end.  Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
An 03 does not permit you to engage in the business of dealing in any kinds of firearms.  If a C&R holder is receiving a firearm with the sole intention of giving it to his friend, that's engaging in business.  If an 03 holder buys an C&R-eligible gun for their own use then decides they don't want it, they can sell it no problem, but you cannot buy a C&R gun with the intention of transferring it to an individual.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, I see the majority of people feel the way I do in this situation.  I called my local FFL, here, and he concurred.  This transaction will only proceed by being transferred through a gun shop/FFL on the buyer's end.  Thanks for the input.

I'd sooner say nothing to them and find a new buyer....keep them stupid
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
In other words a C&R can't be engaged in the business of selling like a full FFL, which is what the person he wants it shipped to intends to do. Chicken don't do the transfer unless its to a FFL, knowing that a a straw purchase will take place as a result of your sale, would put you in a bad situation with the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Nothing wrong with it.  Ship it.

Straw purchase is misrepresenting yourself as a buyer so that someone who CANNOT LEGALLY OWN a firearm can take possession.

Either way, it's a non issue as you transferred it to another FFL.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#11]
it does sound like a straw purchase, unless he is buying for his friend that has the C&R. A C&R holder cant just buy firearms and sell them right away. I am pretty sure that any firearm that is acquired with a C&R has to stay in the licensees possession for at least 2 years before he can sell or transfer the firearm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A C&R holder cant just buy firearms and sell them right away. I am pretty sure that any firearm that is acquired with a C&R has to stay in the licensees possession for at least 2 years before he can sell or transfer the firearm.

I 'm absolutely sure you're wrong.  I can sell firearms for any reason that I desire, so long as it's not to maintain my livelihood.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I may of confused the two year part with something else, but buying firearms with the intent to resell them is engaging in business with the license. A C&R is meant for the holder of it to acquire firearms for his collection not someone elses.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:15:43 PM EDT
[#14]
It is perfectly legal for the C&R holder to do this. He is not engaging in the business of being a dealer if he is not deriving an income from buying and selling.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there. 03FFL blatantly acting as a dealer. That's some bad juju there.  There is no way in hell I would be a party to that.

+1. Stay away.

ETA: This is NOT "straw purchase" –– that is something different. This is still, however, not legal for the 03FFL to do. He can't do "dealer transfers" on his license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top