Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 9:45:12 AM EDT
My grandfather gave me a Carcano 1891/38 carbine a while back (wasn’t into guns then) and it sat in my parent’s garage for about 10 years.

Now I really want to restore it and shoot it.  Parts are a little rusty and pitted, but the action works, and I think it would fire and function just fine.

Someone has painted the stock black, I would like to return it to it's original look...  What is the best way to do this?  Sand and finish?

Also, does anyone know how I might found out the year of production?  There are many markings on the gun.

I can post pics if anyone wants to see...

Thank you all in advance.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Most Carcano's will have the date stamped on.  Check on the receiver in front of the bolt.  

I would use normal paint remover on the stock then sand and finish as needed.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
It should have a date on the barrel shank. What calibre ? 6.5 or 7.35?

Post some pics, it would help ID the exact model.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 10:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
As others have pointed out the date should be stamped on the reciever, underneath the arsenal. It should have a name like Gardone or Brescia and under that will be the date which may not contain all the digits of the year. For example mine was made in 1942 but the date stamp says XX942. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#4]
My 1938 TS stock is so black with dirt and oil that it looks painted black.  Many Carcanos I'v'e seen were very black/dark wood.

There is a great Carcano collectors website out there.  It escapes me right now but it should be easily Googled.

Hal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top