Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2008 6:17:12 AM EDT
I found a pair of No. 1 MK III Enfields at a local pawn shop. Both have had a date with Bubba at some time in the past, he was not a kind nor thoughtful man......No metal was  disturbed however...just the wood. One rifle is also missing it's magazine. The bores are very good and the rest of the metal is in very good shape- clean, no rust etc...One rifle is an Aussie Lithgow, 1943...the other is British, not sure of maker, forgot since I saw them... 1916. I can get the two rifles for $100 cash.

I am thinking that I will buy them and order a set of Indian Drill Purpose Wood from Springfield Sporters- it is a complete set of wood and bands. The sets are $60 apiece, I could order a magazine at the same time $30. Basically I would end up with$250 in the two rifles. They would never be "correct" but restored at least to some dignity and fine shooters....

Thoughts?

I am inclined to buy them, I dunno why really. The last thing I need is another set of projects and with .303 about as scarce as hens teeth....doesn't make much sense.....but....I hate to see fine old rifles suffer like that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 7:08:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Its a great idea if you are looking to save the two rifles and start another project.

On the other hand you could just buy ones already in correct original condition.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Enfields have gotten kind of pricey lately. I have seen some nicers ones selling in the $250 range. Now the badly mismatched, beat to crap or Indian guns don't bring that but good looking Empire guns do.

Aim had some No. 4's awhile ago that were sound shooters for about $160 apiece....I would be wanting these to plink around with- save wear and tear on my really nice ones....Might make one into a truck rifle too....Think I will go take another look at them and see.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 7:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]

I would go ahead and do it.  I like fixing old greasy guns.  

ZM
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I bought the Lithgow. It had the magazine. I am thinking about the other rifle yet....Got to get on the phone with Springfield and get some wood coming this way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy the other. You can always set it aside and work on it later. These things aren't getting cheaper or more plentiful.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea, that's what I was chewing on. It's a BSA rifle and the bore is quite good on it. Like I said it needs all new wood (less buttstock) and of course the bands etc....Needs a magazine too. The rifle is actually sitting in the back they don't want to put it out in their shop as it's "too junky" looking.....it's not going anywhere.

I can get the Ishapore stock set and a mag for $90 and be in the gun for less than $150 total...it would make a good truck rifle and plinking gun.

The Lithgow is going to be VERY nice when I get it done if the Indian stock is in any kind of shape, the metal is all great.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 10:51:03 PM EDT
[#7]
All Lithgows are deserving of love and care.  Good pick up and show us some pics of what she looks like when you get her back to fighting trim.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#8]
theres plenty of stock sets to be found in the UK but the $ to £ exchange rate will hurt though.

Nick
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Try Reich trading for replacement wood sets. He has a few varieties I believe.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#10]
If you dont want them would you please PM me the location.  I have boxes of Enfield parts and could probably make the complete with little effort.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top