Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2008 2:57:48 PM EDT
I just took the plunge and ordered an M95/34 off of Century Arms. I've always wanted one of these little carbines. I know the ammo is scarce, and you have to use special clips. Any other suggestions out there from any of you guys that have one of these things?

(I'm also looking for a manual of some sort so I can take it apart and put it back together again with no "extra" parts left over)
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased one of these from Classicarms a few years back. It's a great quality rifle that actually shoots well but kicks quite hard. There are mostly Hungarian slings out there for these rifles, but to find an original is pretty much impossible for the most part. The clips used are enbloc clips, they actually press in from the top of the receiver and are held in place.

The down side as you said is the ammo is scarce and when it is around its spendy. I was actually considering selling off my 8x56R ammo collection sometime soon.

Taking the rifle apart is really easy. Follow this link and on the right hand side towards the top you will see links to download the rifle teardown instructions along with taking the bolt apart too.

www.surplusrifle.com/steyrm95/index.asp

The bolt dissassembly does not go over one thing though, to put the bolt back into the receiver on "some" not all of these you have to use a dime while cocking the bolt back in your hand and place int in a specific spot to hold the bolt in the cocked position.

Post up some pics so we can see your rifle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the speedy reply!  As soon as I get the rifle, I will figure out how to post pics (finally, heheh).
I will try to do the before and after thing, assuming it is coated in cosmo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 4:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Cleaning the cosmo is the best part
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy has transmission shop. Large transmission washer is great on rifles with cosmo. 10 minutes in the machine and all the cosmo is off, and the rifle is squeaky clean!
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buddy has transmission shop. Large transmission washer is great on rifles with cosmo. 10 minutes in the machine and all the cosmo is off, and the rifle is squeaky clean!

I'm sure you've done that before but if it where me I'd do it the old fashion way, that way you know you're not causing any unwanted damage to the wood or getting water pressed up into areas it normally couldnt get without pressure.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops, forgot to add: I will only throw the metal parts in the rack. The wood will not go in, I will give it some TLC!
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the speedy reply!  As soon as I get the rifle, I will figure out how to post pics (finally, heheh).

Hope it turns out well!

Mine came practically mummy wrapped (got it at dunhams) and it turned out to be in refurb/like new condition inside and out.

Just make sure you get some enblocs unless you want a awkward single-shot.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope it turns out well!

Mine came practically mummy wrapped (got it at dunhams) and it turned out to be in refurb/like new condition inside and out.

Just make sure you get some enblocs unless you want a awkward single-shot.  

Ordered some enblocs from Numrich the same day I ordered the rifle, and I also ordered some ammo (Hornady) from Sportsman's Guide.
Numrich and SG have both shipped, now I just have to wait for Century Arms to ship the rifle to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 7:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, you bought some hella spendy ammo there....
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeppers, I know the ammo is crazy, but, I will definitely be looking at reloading options, after some more research. I figured a box or two of the good stuff would be ok for making sure the rifle doesn't kaboom on me, but after that I will consider using my reloading equipment. I was hoping S&B and/Or other Euro ammo makers would make a batch or two of 8X56R every year, like they do with some of the other off the wall calibers. With over 3.5 Million M95's supposedly made, I would hope there was a decent demand for modern ammo out there. If not, I can't say I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

Just checked Midway, I can get the
Dies and shell holder for $30.26,
Not counting discounts... not bad.

(Time to do some homework)
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 4:53:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Last time we spoke about this caliber Bryan from AIM said PRVI was coming out with some new reproduction.

I wonder if its still in the works.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 6:49:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Last time we spoke about this caliber Bryan from AIM said PRVI was coming out with some new reproduction.

I hope so. The rifle is good fun and I am down to '38 swastika headstamp ammo that is probably hot...
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hope so. The rifle is good fun and I am down to '38 swastika headstamp ammo that is probably hot...

The 38 Nazi marked is all I have used in mine. Works perfect every time.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Steyr showed up yesterday via UPS. Not very much Cosmo on rifle, just a little bit on stock and in bore. This isn't one of those fancy re-finished one's I seen advertised, but it does have at least one repair made to the stock near the bolt, very nice plug fitted. Stock reminds me of the wear and tear I have seen on some K-31's. Finish is just about worn away on the wood, so for once I'm going to have to do some work on the wood. Bluing is around 90%.There is some minor external pitting, but no visible rust. This thing may have been refinished many, many years ago. Along with the standard Austrian markings, I thought I saw a very faint 1917 on the barrel.  Bolt face has some minor wear and tear, and some very small pitting. Barrel is a work in progress, I rodded it 100 times with a brass brush, then ran a few patches through it, still looked crummy, so  ran copper solvent through it and let is soak overnight. I will be grabbing some new 8mm brushes today and when I have time this evening, I will rod the crap out of it and see what is inside. This thing is small, and light. My shoulder quivers in anticipation of shooting it. Ammo that I ordered along with the rifle is German made stuff from 1938. Looks brand new. I'm going to take some before pics in preparation of the rebuild. By "Rebuild", I mean TLC on the wood. The rest is fine as far as I can see.

Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Post some pics, would love to see before and afters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top