Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2008 11:23:14 PM EDT
I want to get a fun lightweight gun to shoot a lot.  I decided that with 30 Carbine being pretty cheap, the M-1 is the answer for me.  Is the "Rack" grade from CMP a good gun to clean up and shoot?  Will it look halfways decent after I strip and restain?
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd only recommend one if you can go pick it out yourself.  Most of the rack grade ones I saw there would swallow a  bore guage.    I don't think it'd be a lot of fun to shoot if you couldn't hit anything with it.   My buddy picked through 20 or so and found one that read a 2 on the muzzle guage, he couldn't believe how bad some were.
Link Posted: 4/15/2008 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I received 4 a few weeks ago and all have good muzzles. All the bores aer shiney but 1 has a pit ring about 6" back from the muzzle. I havn't shot any of them yet so I can't speak to their accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had positive experiences with all 4 of my rack grade carbines. One or two of the stocks may need a little work, but they make great shooters.
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I got an underwood in good condition with a muzzle of about 1.5-2 (rack grade)

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/chefwu101/P1160810.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f4/chefwu101/P1160807.jpg
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright you talked me into it.  Just gotta get my big pack of junk sent in to CMP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top