Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 2:57:40 PM EDT
What paint like finish do you guys like?  I'm going to refinish an inshapore enfield shooter and I think I want something very low maintenance like a paint coating on it.  I'm looking at the brownell's catalog and there's all sorts of stuff...teflon/moly, gun kote, baking lacquer, duracoat...  Any favorites?  I don't have media blasting equipment so it sounds like gun-kote might not be the best choice.  I haven't tried yet but I doubt the barreled action fits in the oven so I don't think the bake on options will work.  How is dura coat?

On a slightly more crazy note, has anyone ever tried electro nickel plating something like the entire barreled receiver?  It would probably be ugly looking but it was a passing idea
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
The top 2, are Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II and Lauer's Duracoat.
Neither need baking.

Duracoat is "probably" the best of all the paint-type gun finishes.
They sell just about any color you can imagine, they sell specialized camouflage pattern application stencils, and an inexpensive kit with an airbrush to apply the coating.

www.lauerweaponry.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't even pay attention to the aluma-hyde, I just figured it was meant for aluminum weapons, if it works well on steel though I'll have to take a look.  I see they have aluma-hyde 1 & 2 even....  The duracoat seems to have a good reputation but if aluma-hyde is close enough and I don't have to setup an airbrush or sprayer....
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I did my 2A1 Enfield in the black Alumahyde II.  It was back in 2000 so there are more choices now.  My and others complaint about the Alumahyde II was how thickly it goes on.  If you can stand some appearance issues it is ok.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I didn't even pay attention to the aluma-hyde, I just figured it was meant for aluminum weapons, if it works well on steel though I'll have to take a look.  I see they have aluma-hyde 1 & 2 even....  The duracoat seems to have a good reputation but if aluma-hyde is close enough and I don't have to setup an airbrush or sprayer....
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder if anyone has ever used the semi-gloss black por15...it sure is a durable finish, might even look like the paint that came on them.  It might be too thick though.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 10:49:55 AM EDT
[#5]
If you ignore solvent resistance it opens up a lot of spray finishes.  You just don't want to spray it down with Gun Scrubber.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I wonder if anyone has ever used the semi-gloss black por15...it sure is a durable finish, might even look like the paint that came on them.  It might be too thick though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top