Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:01:52 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knows what happenned to all the Colt SAA's that the U.S. "lend -leased" England during WW2 for their Home Guard. Were they ever returned and sold as surplus? Does anyone have a British proof marked SAA? Were they destroyed? Are they still in storage? Sold to a third country? Anyone know? Could be a nice stash of pre-war SAA's out there somewhere...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, I'm sure the Brits rounded them all up and made a reef out them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The Brits BEGGED AND PLEADED with America and American civilians for guns to hold off the Nazis with.

They solemnly promised that once the emergency was over, the guns would be returned with Britain's thanks.

The war was still not quite over when Britain collected all these guns, (some quite valuable even then) and dumped them into the Atlantic ocean.

I have high hopes England will once again get themselves into a desperate situation (possibly with the Islamics) and beg us for guns again.
I wouldn't "loan" them a pea shooter.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]

They solemnly promised

Do you know why the sun never sets on the British Empire?

Because God won't trust an Englishman in the dark!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:45:01 PM EDT
[#4]
How depressing! I'm not doubting your info...but I think we should try and find something out a little more factual here about this incedent if we can. Were the pre-war SAA's sent directly from Colt? Or borrowed from the government? If it was from the gov't...and they were U.S. Gov't property, then should'nt they have been returned?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top