Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2007 6:43:45 PM EDT
My local range is starting to put on a service rifle match every few months, and I was thinking of getting an good old rifle to shoot in the match with. While my highly customized AR does qualify I was thinking something like a Swiss K31 would be something different that I am pretty sure would shoot better than I could.

I would like some help in choosing a rifle to fit my needs. I like the idea of the K31, it is my understanding this rifle has a reputation of being a shooter. Ammo doesn't seem that expensive, the only real problem I have is finding accessories for the rifle like a good sling and mags or stripper clips.

The other thing I was thinking and really want is a Enfield #4. But I am worried about the condition of the bore since there was alot of corrosive ammo used in these rifles.

My last and foolhardy wish would be a 1903A3 springfield, but I know I don't have enough money for that. I really would like something in 30-06 considering that ammo is extemely cheap right now.

So I am asking for help, I need a rifle that is capable of doing 1MOA at 100yds if I do my part. What should I buy or just shut up and shoot my AR.

DMgangl
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of K31s and would buy more if I had somewhere to put them.  I also managed to stock up on GP11 when it was available (and reasonably priced).  

Availability and prices for 7.5 Swiss ammo could be an issue in the future.  Otherwise, my K31s are more accurate than my Garands but would not be my first choice for competing….I have a dedicated AR for that.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#2]
K31 is an accurate rifle for sure, though ammo has gone up recently for the surplus GP11 when it can be found. You can get a sling or stripper clips for it on eBay usually, thats where I got some for mine. I have not checked it lately but I would not be surprised to see some people listing these items now. I think it is a handy carbine and balances well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess since I am new to this ammo prices don't seem that bad to me compared to .308 or .223.

This is more of a fun gun than a competition rifle. I just don't want to spend my money on a rifle that is a waist of my time. To my understanding the the K31 rifles have good bores and beat up stocks. And considering I can get one for around $200 it does of set the ammo price just a little.

DMgangl
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Definitely the K31. Nothing cycles faster. Not even an Enfield.

And they're accurate

1st place

Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok next question who to buy one from?

Aim has one for $199+$10 for best pick.

Simpson Ltd has them from $225$425(being the most I am willing to spend)

Samco global arms has excellent condition for $189.

So who would have the best rifle and reputation.

ETA: and were would be the best place to get accessories like mags?

DMgangl
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok next question who to buy one from.

IMO = AIM
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 2:18:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was thoroughly satisfied with mine from AIM.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:18:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

ETA: and were would be the best place to get accessories like mags?

DMgangl

militarygunsupply has some.  I used have whole bunch.  But I am down to one.  I picked it up from gunshow for $150.00 because it had bad gouges.  But shoots excellent

If you get a K-31, you should reload.  Brass is available from Grafs and sons.  Or you can convert from .284 winchester.

You do not need extra magazine but you need clips.  Ebay has some.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:48:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#10]
K31's can definetly be 1 MOA. Can't believe they're up to $200 wholesale. I remember AIm selling them with shipping for $60 apiece sometimes. Another very accurate rifle that shoots even cheaper ammo than the K31's is a Finnish M39. THey usually run around $300 or higher but shoot the relatively cheap 7.62*54 Russian cartridge. They are basically the match rifle version of the Russian Mosin Nagants. Enfield's are another safe bet, yes they used corrosive ammo but I think our English brothers took very good care of their guns, I've seen very few that didn't have nearly mirror brite bores like most K31's ( which never saw corrosive ammo FWIW).
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks I will ckeck out  the M39. Another reason I was thinking the K31 is there are some rapid-fire timed courses of fire and I the straight-bolt would be faster.

DMgangl
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 6:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks I will ckeck out  the M39. Another reason I was thinking the K31 is there are some rapid-fire timed courses of fire and I the straight-bolt would be faster.

DMgangl

Do it quick.

Work just came down that there are no more importable M-39s in Finland. They've been getting scarfed up like mad ever since. I'm glad I got mine before the feeding frenzy began, but I really wish I'd have picked up both I saw at the last show...
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope there is going to be atleast one left in a month.I don't start my new job till next week.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came from Samco a while back
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top