Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 12:19:46 PM EDT
I have a broken shell stuck in my SVT40, the entire rear rim ripped off.  Is a broken shell extractor the only solution?  Also, are the BSE's specific to each individual caliber?  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:25:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I do believe that shell extractors only work for the cartridge you need to use it on. Have you tried using a cleaning rod and a very tight fitting patch? This will sometimes work, If that fails you could try to use another empty and try to compress it into the other case. I would think that a good gunsmith should be able to remove it if you can't.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, BSE's are caliber specific.  I have one for 7.62X54R and another for .233.  They are cheap, get some for your range bag.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes, BSE's are caliber specific.  I have one for 7.62X54R and another for .233.  They are cheap, get some for your range bag.

Thanks, I just ordered one.  But is there another way to remove the shell?  I'd rather not wait.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
i know a guy that screwed a tap into the back of the casing, then used a cleaning rod to push it out.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i know a guy that screwed a tap into the back of the casing, then used a cleaning rod to push it out.

That worked.  I bought a 3/8 tap from the Home Despot this morning, and it worked nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top