Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 4:01:48 PM EDT
If you did your own parking, how did it turn out? Which parts did you do? Which parts would you stay away from reparking? If you used a kit which one did you use? Damn, that is alot of questions. I want to touch up a couple of M1s but I would like some feed back before I start. TIA.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I played with DIY parkerizing, and it surprisingly turned out pretty well.  I parked a beat up FEG Hi-power and "half" a Garand.  I used a kit from MG34 and simply followed the directions.  I "cooked" the parts in the garage over a coleman stove in a large stainless steel pot.  

Metal prep is extremely important in the process, and you MUST keep oil off the prepped metal until after cooking.  Otherwise your work will end up spotty.  I used a beat up sand blasting cabinet and media left over from my M38A1 project to clean and remove any finish off of the parts.

I only parkerized the receiver and most small parts of the Garand because I didn't have the funds or resouces for a larger tank adn some of the small parts didn't need repark.  I used electrical tape to protect the barrel from blasting and parkerizing, and I was amazed at how well it looked when I was done.  

Anyway, if you are patient, can follow instructions and have a way to prep the metal, you should have no problem.  I know a guy who did this on the kitchen oven and it turned out just fine.  I wouldn't recommend it due to the fumes and smell (not bad mind you, but be sure to have some air flow).

Receiver was reparked...wood is a Boyd's stock.  The rifle appeared to have been used as a drill rifle before I got it as wood was chipped up pretty bad, and receiver had light surface rust where it would have been regularly handled during drill.  Turned out pretty good if I have to say so myself!

FEG Hi Power I did at the same time.

The old beast of a project that I almost sold before I finished...now I'm glad I didn't!  My 1953 M38A1 jeep.
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That M1 looks great! How did you plug the barrel? I tore mine down tonight and will be doing the prep in the next day or so. I will be parking over a camp stove outside so fumes are not as concerning. Did you park the receiver and barrel as one unit or did you seperate them? I have Boyds stock on order as well, it looks as if it will be a while before it arrives. What did you use for the gas tube? and other stainless parts?
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't recall what I used to plug the barrel, it had to be either a rubber or cork plug as that is what I had available at the time.  For the gas cylinder I first used flat black "grill" paint but later used a grey/black norrells finish as I felt the paint was to black.  Sadly, I don't have that rifle any more.  It was one hell of a looker (and shooter) and sold within two hours of advertizing.  Just one of those things I kick myself for selling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top