Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2006 11:42:02 PM EDT
I've been doing some browsing on various auction sites for C&R firearms.  I've noted in a couple auctions some rifles (SKS variants) that I would have been certain were C&R, but for which the seller was saying "I can't find this model on the list, so it needs to go to an FFL".  I've seen other auctions for weapons that the seller will ship to a C&R but which I don't see on the C&R List.

Who's responsible (in the eyes of the law) for ensuring that the weapon being sold between two C&R holders is really a C&R?  Is there liability on both parties?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been doing some browsing on various auction sites for C&R firearms.  I've noted in a couple auctions some rifles (SKS variants) that I would have been certain were C&R, but for which the seller was saying "I can't find this model on the list, so it needs to go to an FFL".  I've seen other auctions for weapons that the seller will ship to a C&R but which I don't see on the C&R List.

Who's responsible (in the eyes of the law) for ensuring that the weapon being sold between two C&R holders is really a C&R?  Is there liability on both parties?

Whoever holds the FFL, either buyer or seller or both.
The list is published by the BATF.
If it's not on the list then it's not a C&R.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted: I've seen other auctions for weapons that the seller will ship to a C&R but which I don't see on the C&R List.

Non NFA firearms, 50 years and older, are automatically C&R firearms even if they are not specifically listed.

Typically the only C&R firearms listed are those LESS than 50 years old, and NFA firearms that are also on the C&R list.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep in mind, the C&R list has been growing since 1968.  That's part of why you'll see firearms that are clearly over 50 years old now, but are still listed because they weren't at the time they were added to the list.  They were found to be C&R either because they had some rare/collectible status, or because they used what was considered an obsolete cartridge that was not readily available in the US.  I don't think the obsolete cartridge is an ATF guideline, but I believe it was used at one time.

As to who's responsible, I agree that it's the person (or persons) with the FFL.  Though I tend to place more responsibility on the seller since there is no way for the buyer to absolutely verify C&R status unless they are holding the item in their hands.

I'm still puzzled by the non-C&R status of the recent Polish TT-33 pistols sold by AIM because the added safety modified them from their original configuration.  Plenty were sold by SOG (with the added safety) as C&R so where does that leave those?  My personal rule is that if I bought it as C&R then I can sell it as C&R.

LL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top