Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2006 9:53:40 PM EDT
This is my first Enfield and only my second antique "C&R" eligible rifle..

I would say that over all it looks great. No rusted/corroded or bent metal, no cracked, split or missing wood.

I finally got it all taken apart and started cleaning it. Could not believe how much grease was under the wood. I was expecting cosmoline, but it was just heavily coated with grease.

The outside was painted in black paint which is turning out to be a PITA to get off.

I was hoping mineral spirits would remove some the paint off the wood & metal, but no such luck. I picked up some good stripper and I'll attack it with that this weekend.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Gene

Link Posted: 12/22/2006 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The British would parkerize their rifles, and then paint over the parkerization to aid in rust prevention. Their empire stretched around the world, so the paint served to prevent salty seawater from rusting their weapons.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 4:31:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The British would parkerize their rifles, and then paint over the parkerization to aid in rust prevention. Their empire stretched around the world, so the paint served to prevent salty seawater from rusting their weapons.

Ahh, ok. I thought it was painted to preserve the metal.

I'm not ready to try painting just yet. For now I'll leave it bare metal and keep it oiled till I feel I'm ready to paint it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2006 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#3]
There is very nice parkerizing under all that paint.  Buy a can of Easy-Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner (the yellow can) and you won't believe how fast the paint comes off and how nice it looks with the paint gone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 9:24:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Was this an old Brittish Ishapore .303, or the newer Indian (1960's) Ishapore 7.62X51?
Link Posted: 12/24/2006 9:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Was this an old Brittish Ishapore .303, or the newer Indian (1960's) Ishapore 7.62X51?

Yeah, what he said, is it in 308 or 303?????

I looked them up on their web site.   It says the magazine holds eleven rounds, is that true?  I thought they held only ten.

It also says it's detachable.  Is that true?  I thought it was more or less fixed or need a tool to remove.  Is it a detachable box magazine?
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 1:12:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, what he said, is it in 308 or 303?????

I looked them up on their web site.   It says the magazine holds eleven rounds, is that true?  I thought they held only ten.

It also says it's detachable.  Is that true?  I thought it was more or less fixed or need a tool to remove.  Is it a detachable box magazine?

-Yes it is a 308

-Yes it is a removeable box magazine (just in front of the trigger there is a lever to release the mag and it comes right out just like any other mag)

-Yes the mag DOES hold 11 rounds. (just went and put 11 rounds in the mag to make sure)

-All serial numbers on the gun match, including the magazine (number is stamped into the back of the mag) so I'm guessing the mag is original to the weapon?

I haven't had a chance to strip the wood (too many christmas parties the past few days), I'm hoping to have it done this week and out to the range by next weekend.

Anything else you would like to know, let me know.

Take care and have a merry christmas.

Gene

ETA: FWIW, there was some "NUMRICH" papers attached to the gun when I got it. It had a warning label and some part numbers for stuff from their catalog. So I'm not sure if maybe J&G got these from them or what. Does Numrich do importing?

Link Posted: 12/25/2006 10:46:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
-Yes it is a 308

-Yes it is a removeable box magazine (just in front of the trigger there is a lever to release the mag and it comes right out just like any other mag)

-Yes the mag DOES hold 11 rounds. (just went and put 11 rounds in the mag to make sure)

Gene

I asked because I was considering buying one.  The eleven round detachable magazine means this cannot be imported into California.  I thought it was ten rounds.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 12:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Yes it is a 308

Gene

I asked because I was considering buying one.  The eleven round detachable magazine means this cannot be imported into California.  I thought it was ten rounds.  

Someone sells 10 rnd mags, I've seen them before in SGN.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
J&G bought them from us, they are Numrich imports

Now if I could just get you guys to ship to Guam, USA, I wouldn't have to go through J&G....

Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:18:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Gene, how does it shoot? got any pics?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Gene, how does it shoot? got any pics?

HA!  I'm still cleaning this thing. Spent another 4 hours today cleaning black paint from all the small metal pieces. (what a pain in the ass!!!)

All I have left to clean is the barrel and receiver and the main stock (not the butt stock).

Some light sanding and then I'll refinish the wood.

Still not sure what to do with the metal. There is none or very little parkerizing left on the metal.

I was hoping to have this all done by now, but with the holidays it sort of got put on hold.

I can take pics of all the small parts if anyone would like to see them though..

Happy New Years ARFCOM.

Gene
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps you could clean the paint off and send the parts out for reparkerizing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Perhaps you could clean the paint off and send the parts out for reparkerizing.

Is that expensive? Is it worth doing on an old rifle like this?  Who does something like that?

Gene
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Well I did some looking around, BOSES will do it for $135.00.

That's almost what I paid for the gun, but it may be worth it to have it looking nice again.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:14:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Well I did some looking around, BOSES will do it for $135.00.

That's almost what I paid for the gun, but it may be worth it to have it looking nice again.

Thoughts?

I would do something.  Re-park or some baking laquer from brownells.   Luckily mine from AIM had a very nice park under all the damn paint.   I used paint stripper, cue tips and a knife blade to remove my paint.   Afterward I soaked everything in mineral spirits to remove any left over stripper.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Yes it is a 308

Gene

From Aim's web site:

***Now available to CA 01 Dealers! 12rd magazine will be replaced with 10rd.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
-Yes it is a 308

Gene

From Aim's web site:

***Now available to CA 01 Dealers! 12rd magazine will be replaced with 10rd.

I wonder how much they are going to sell those 12 round mags for now...

As I surf over to AIM's web page....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top