Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 5:11:02 PM EDT
Anybody care to comment on their accuracy, fit and finish?  I read they were designed by for marksmen by marksmen.  I hope there's truth to that.  I just ordered one from AIM and paid extra for handselect.
Also, what particular ammo do you all recommend for it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The armory standards for the M39 were 1.5 MOA or the rifle was scrapped or rebuilt. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:21:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The spec on these rifles is as stated above.  These are usually very accurate rifles.  As to best ammo it's up to the individual rifle.  In mine, I have shot Albanian, Czech and Hungarian.  All hit clays at 50 yards with a 6 O'clock point.   You will love this rifle.  One of mine has a stock that looks like it was dragged behind a truck, abd the bluing is mostly gone from the metal, but it shoots great.   I have let a lot of people shoot it at the range and it impresses everyone there.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The spec on these rifles is as stated above.  These are usually very accurate rifles.  As to best ammo it's up to the individual rifle.  In mine, I have shot Albanian, Czech and Hungarian.  All hit clays at 50 yards with a 6 O'clock point.   You will love this rifle.  One of mine has a stock that looks like it was dragged behind a truck, abd the bluing is mostly gone from the metal, but it shoots great.   I have let a lot of people shoot it at the range and it impresses everyone there.  

Is yours an AIM rifle?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had mine for a while and I don't recall who the importer was.  I have seen some great ones and some heavily used ones.  Overall, they are a heck of an old MBR.

If yours isn't as accurate as you think it ought to be and you have made sure the action is tight, etc., you may need to recrown the muzzle.  This is a relatively simple task that can tighten up groups.

Recrowning is not the same as counterboring.

Also, it isn't uncommon to find out that the receiver on an M39 is in fact pre-1899 making the rifle an antique.  The finns were very fond of the early Mosin receivers.  These were made when the equipment was new, the metal was top notch and the workers weren't threatened by warfare.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
From all the research, websites, magazines, books, and articals I've read on the matter, the 3 most accurate bolt surplus rifles are the M39, K31 and Swede Mauser, in no particular order.  The M39 is the only I've never tried.
As far as ammo goes, Ammunitionstore.com has some polish 147gr and some albanian 147gr.  Which should i buy?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Try some Hungrian heavy ball ammo. It is 174gr, and it is what my M39 shoots the best. I read somewhere that M39's like the heavier ammo. I got some from AIM a while back, not sure if they still have any, thier website is down right now........
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#7]

The spec on these rifles is as stated above. These are usually very accurate rifles. As to best ammo it's up to the individual rifle. In mine, I have shot Albanian, Czech and Hungarian. All hit clays at 50 yards with a 6 O'clock point. You will love this rifle. One of mine has a stock that looks like it was dragged behind a truck, abd the bluing is mostly gone from the metal, but it shoots great. I have let a lot of people shoot it at the range and it impresses everyone there.

My M39 looks real bad also .. I think I pay $54 for it... It shoots like a dream!!!  I wish I would have got more of them...???? Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda....?????  
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
You might also check the inventory at www.gunsnammo.com. I bought mine from him and it was perfect. Its a 100% blued and unissued 1895 receiver in the 349.00 range and there wasnt a nick or ding on it. The bore is spotless. I havent shot it yet as I still need to give it the once over but I am confident that it will shoot as good as it looks.

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top