Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 5:52:59 PM EDT
The headspacing on two of my RC K98s are off (checked with go/nogo/field gauges)....is there a way to fix this aside from swapping bolts or pulling barrels?  The electronumbers make them force matched.....

thanks..
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
And on this one....you are right....swap bolt, swap barrel, or rechamber. That is all you can do....but what do I know. Someone may have a different idea that may work.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
And on this one....you are right....swap bolt, swap barrel, or rechamber. That is all you can do....but what do I know. Someone may have a different idea that may work.

thats rough, how and why would the Ruskies electropencil the bolts to match the rest of the rifle, if the headspacing doesnt check out?  this doesnt make sense....AHHHH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you saying the bolt closed on a field gauge? Or just on the No-Go and Go gauges. SAMMI gauges are tighter tolerance than the original mil spec gauges. If it would not close on a Field gauge you're still ok.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#4]
bolts didnt close on any gauges, go, nogo, and field
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh?

Would you care to elaborate?

DJ

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Huh?

DJ

Quoted:

I put the different gauges into the 2 K98s, and the bolts would not close on any of them....not on the "go" gauge, the "nogo" gauge, or the "field" gauge.....  the bolts are supposed to close on the "go" gauges, but not on the "nogo" and "field" gauges....

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Huh?

DJ

Quoted:

+1

Are you SURE the chamber is completely clean of cosmoline? Dried cosmo can be hard a rock and a bear to get out sometimes. Have you tried to chamber a round? If you can chamber a round with no more than slight resistance, go shoot it!

If you have short head space it's a simple matter for a GOOD gunsmith to ream it to the correct size.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you remove the extractor from the bolt before checking the headspacing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#9]
the rifles are clean of cosmoline, and no I didnt remove the extractor..

but I didnt remove the extractor on my other two K98s and they checked out fine
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#10]
they could possibly be pretty tight after rearsenaling.  I had a Russian M38 that was a bitch to close on a round, no problem though extracting after firing the round.  Just go to the range and close on a live round and if it closes it should be fine.  May be a little tight, no big deal.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
they could possibly be pretty tight after rearsenaling.  I had a Russian M38 that was a bitch to close on a round, no problem though extracting after firing the round.  Just go to the range and close on a live round and if it closes it should be fine.  May be a little tight, no big deal.

both rifles chambered a LIVE Greek 8mm round, neither were tight to close.....both extracted them just fine too (didnt fire them though).....

AHHH whys it so confusing...

ideas?

just rearsenaled really tight specs?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

both rifles chambered a LIVE Greek 8mm round, neither were tight to close.....both extracted them just fine too (didnt fire them though).....

AHHH whys it so confusing...

ideas?

just rearsenaled really tight specs?

If you have land that you can use as a private range without anyone else around (or a friend), put the rifles in some kind of vise (or mount them securely to something using other means), tie a string around the trigger, chamber a round, pull the string.  If the rifle didn't blow up, that's a good sign .

Next, open the bolt and inspect the cases.  If they've got torn/sheared off rims or partially blown-out cases, then you've got excessive headspace.  It's probably worthwhile to look at the locking lugs and use a mirror to inspect the chamber after this, just in case there may be anything wrong there.  

In this case, I would definitely check the chamber again to make sure there was no dried cosmoline in the chamber. That's very unusual that they chamber and extract live ammo, but fail to close on any of your gauges.  Perhaps try the gauges on a rifle that you know to be in spec to ensure you don't have faulty gauges ?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#13]
i tried the gauges on my first K98 which i had checked for headspacing and checked out...and it passed the gauge test......
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:28:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i tried the gauges on my first K98 which i had checked for headspacing and checked out...and it passed the gauge test......

Yeah, sounds to me like the Russians may well have gotten the headspace a little tight.  Found a interesting article on headspacing in general: www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote11.htm

Try cleaning the chamber again, if you still have problems, take it to a gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, sounds to me like the Russians may well have gotten the headspace a little tight.  Found a interesting article on headspacing in general: www.armalite.com/library/techNotes/tnote11.htm

Try cleaning the chamber again, if you still have problems, take it to a gunsmith.  

thanks for the links and info

crazy Russians... haha

ill look into it
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the links and info

crazy Russians... haha

ill look into it

Your welcome, found something else that should be more specific to your problem www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/headspace/index.asp Wish I had found this one earlier myself.  Looks like certain brands of headspace gauge require both the extractor and firing pin to be removed.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#17]
WOW, i listed the k98s for sale, both are SOLD now,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top