Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2006 3:25:28 PM EDT
I've always cleaned up my rifles by pouring water through the barrel via a funnel after I had used corrosive ammo. I followed this with a normal cleaning and never had any problems. Now, though I've been told that a few patches with Windex will accomplish the same thing as a funnel full of water down the barrel. Is this true? If so, it would take some effort and mess out of my clean up process.

Thanks for any help,
  Mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
The windex thing has a life of it's own.

I just use a water based bore cleaner such as MPro7 as one step.  As long as you use water someway it won't matter.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I've always cleaned up my rifles by pouring water through the barrel via a funnel after I had used corrosive ammo. I followed this with a normal cleaning and never had any problems. Now, though I've been told that a few patches with Windex will accomplish the same thing as a funnel full of water down the barrel. Is this true? If so, it would take some effort and mess out of my clean up process.

Thanks for any help,
  Mike

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Use Hoppe's and clean normally. No reason to use water, soap, window cleaner, or ammonia. I've never seen any reason to clean differently after shooting corrosive ammo. The hey is to clean, and clean shortly after shooting, within about 24 hours.

I do clean more thoroughly after shooting corrosive ammo, but the techniques are the same. For instance, I only take apart my AKs' gas systems a few times a year to clean out the gas block, gas tube, and under the rear sight base. But if I was to shoot corrosive through them (like I always do with my PSL, which is just a big AK), I clean the gas system after every shooting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top