Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 3:55:43 PM EDT
I picked up a blonde stock K31, 1947, that looks almost unissued.  The stock has none of the beaver-chewed stock look; I'd say that just about all of the marks could be storage/handling/shipping marks.  There is also no tag in the buttstock.

Could this be an unissued one, or something?  Or did the previous owner(s) just take good care of it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless the metal is absolutely pristine, then it has been issued.  Does the buttplate have ANY damage?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it has a little marking around the top and bottom edges.  The finish on the top of the sight is a little worn off so I guess it's been issued... the guy just must have left it in his closet or something.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got two walnut stocked examples that are in similar condition to what you describe.

Both came with buttstock tags from the federal arsenal in Zurich, which makes me wonder if they did much besides hang out in a rack and get pulled out and cleaned once a year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#4]
What's this buttstock tag you speak of?  The paper one that everyone else seemed to get?

The stock is by no means perfect, but even the 'unissued' yugo sks's have a few dents/scrapes from storage with the other guns.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Swiss soldiers would often place thier name and other important information on a tag and place it under the plate on the butstock of the rifle. This is kinda neat becouse if you have one you can find out who the rifle's former owner was. Some people have even contacted the former owner of the rifle in swizerland and recieved corespondance back from them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#6]
i had a tag in mine......they must have issued these rifles recently because the tag is made of some sort of plastic.......how do I look this guy up? i have googled every word on that tag and the best leads i can get are in sweedish and the page wont translate.  is there a better way to track this guy down?  I think that would be pretty cool if I could somehow send him a letter and thank him for taking such good care of it!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:18:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out swissrifles.com to break down what the tag says.

That site has pretty much everything you'll ever want to know about the K31 and every other Swiss rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top