Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 6:28:28 PM EDT
What was th original finish on the Enfield No4 mark 3?

I have one that is in gfreat shape mechanically, but was beat up a fair bit on the cadet parade ground, I was thinking of throwing a Boyd's stockset on it, and using ArmaCoat in the appropriate colors to duplicate the finish (if it was parked, blued, or whatever)

There is not much finish left on this rifle, but what is there looks like it might have been a blackish coating of some sort...

Any one have a definitive answer?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not familiar with a No.4mk3.

However the Brits were fond of using a black paint for a finish. They may have applied it over a parkerizing, though. And I'm too lazy to get up and get my Collector's Series book on the Enfields. It's a pretty good book, really. In fact I think I have one for each of my C&R rifles that the series covers.

My No4mk1 has traces of black paint in protected areas and still has a good, but used parked type finish left. But then it's also wearing a very beautifully blued, and new, South African barrel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Longbranch & Savage No4's were blued or parked later in the war.

British rifles (Fazakerly, Maltby, BSA) were parkerized or painted with Suncorite Enamel. A very good approximation of this paint is Alumahyde II from Brownells.

No1 rifles were blued and sometimes parked....seldom painted with the exception of Ishapore Indian rifles. The punjabs loved to slop on ugly paint.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#3]
this is a Canuck rifle, no idea on who made it though
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:07:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks swingset.

My Enfield is marked: No4mk1(F)

The (F) means it was made at Fazakerly. Does your rifle have a similar marking? Longbranch were Canadian made but I believe all of them were marked with "Longbranch" somewhere. Check the side of the receiver and both sides of the stock socket. Somewhere there will be something to indicate who made it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Longbranch were Canadian made but I believe all of them were marked with "Longbranch" somewhere. Check the side of the receiver and both sides of the stock socket. Somewhere there will be something to indicate who made it.

Correct, Longbranch No4's were always marked on the left side of the receiver....they were the only maker to do so.

Savage guns are nearly always marked "US Property", BSA guns have an M47C on the wrist, Fazakerly has an "F" in the serial. Maltby would be any No4 that doesn't meet those criteria. That's my layman's guide to ID.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:56:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay,  it says No.4Mk1/3 (F)

then directly under that Stamped much deeper it says 5 no. 4 Mk1

and it still has a fair bit of black finish on it, but I had thought it might not be original (Heaven knows I have used paint on more than my share of firearms)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a Fazakerly No4, and the paint would be original finish.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:07:06 AM EDT
[#8]
excellent,then I will be redoing it in ArmaCoat flat black

thanks all!

When I refinish the whole works (with original wood or new, still somewhat undecided)  I will post pictures
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Sounds like a Savage/Stevens No4MkI* ( 5 is actually a block letter S ) that has been upgraded to Mk2 type trigger mount post war by Faz ( No4 mk1* 's  that were upgraded were remarked No4 Mk1/3 ), Originally it would have been parked but generally the British enamel black painted late war-postwar new rifles and upgrade/rebuilds.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a Savage/Stevens No4MkI* ( 5 is actually a block letter S ) that has been upgraded to Mk2 type trigger mount post war by Faz ( No4 mk1* 's  that were upgraded were remarked No4 Mk1/3 ), Originally it would have been parked but generally the British enamel black painted late war-postwar new rifles and upgrade/rebuilds.

You're probably right....for some reason the "5" being an "S" didn't dawn on me.

Fazakerly did the lion's share of post-war FTR's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top