Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 2:13:32 PM EDT
I have a 43 "CE" that I'm going to be reblueing and I'm wondering if the following parts were originally blued?:  Buttplate, recoil lug, cleaning rod and the stock bolt take down hole metal in the stock.  Also, how does the extractor turn red?  Is that just the metalic composition of the extractor reacting with the blueing agent?  Current blueing on the rifle is at about 5% so it will be reblued. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a 43 "CE" that I'm going to be reblueing and I'm wondering if the following parts were originally blued?:  Buttplate, recoil lug, cleaning rod and the stock bolt take down hole metal in the stock.  Also, how does the extractor turn red?  Is that just the metalic composition of the extractor reacting with the blueing agent?  Current blueing on the rifle is at about 5% so it will be reblued. Thanks!

what bluing method are you going to use?

and the extractor was blued or painted by the russians, they seemed to use something different on the extractor than they did for the other metal parts.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
When my gunsmith reblued my k98 the extractor and a band of metal in the bolt release turned red. The gunsmith said it was because the metal was different-hardened or something. I don't remember exactly what he said; it just had something to do with the properties of the metal.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'mgoing to use Brownells Oxpho blue cold blue.  Awesome stuff!  This is not a Russian capture rifle and there are no import marks because my Gramps brought her home with him in late 45.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'mgoing to use Brownells Oxpho blue cold blue.  Awesome stuff!  This is not a Russian capture rifle and there are no import marks because my Gramps brought her home with him in late 45.  

that would probably be one of the last rifles on earth I'd refinish.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:39:33 AM EDT
[#5]
REbluing will cut its value by at least one half.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#6]

I'mgoing to use Brownells Oxpho blue cold blue

www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/bluewonderblue/index.asp

Read that article and buy Blue Wonder, and get a propane torch.  10 times better than any cold blue i've ever tried to do touch ups with.  Especially considering your gonna be doing the whole gun.  Cold blue sucks for touch ups let alone a project like that.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#7]
The parts that turn red-purpleish are spring steel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Personally I wouldn't spend more than $150 on this rifle if it wasn't given to me.  There is literally NO blue on the barrel or receiver and not one part matches except the sights, trigger and barrel.  She is just a battlefield piece gun that gramps picked up near Bastogne and there are no capture papers and he doesn't remember if he was ever issued them.  Now, back to the original question.........was the cleaning rod, butt plate and recoil lug blued?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally I wouldn't spend more than $150 on this rifle if it wasn't given to me.  There is literally NO blue on the barrel or receiver and not one part matches except the sights, trigger and barrel.  She is just a battlefield piece gun that gramps picked up near Bastogne and there are no capture papers and he doesn't remember if he was ever issued them.  Now, back to the original question.........was the cleaning rod, butt plate and recoil lug blued?

I'll gladly take it off your hands then.

back to topic.  I used the brownells cold blue paste on my RC Mutt.  Came out really nice.  Works better if you heat it before.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone here know?  Some pics that I find have the buttplate blued and other pics don't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top