Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 5:26:49 AM EDT
Just got in my Yugo mauser from aim and it has a great bore finish and the stock is in great shape even the handguard looks to be a close match. The strange thing is the stock seems that it never was visited by sandpaper at all it is rough and feels like a cosstie. Would it hurt the value to sand it smooth. Is thier any history with these guns and what kind of would is it? thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry fore the incorrect spelling the words should be crosstie not cosstie and would not would.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure they were all smoothed at one time.  Being handled and being soaked in cosmoline I'm guessing affects the texture of the wood overtime.

First bake the cosmo out of the stock (it is there trust me) then buff it down with some steel wool, and see if it's still not right for you.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:26:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Most of the Numrich Imported ones had been chemically degreased which is why the wood is dry and so rough to the touch. Rub it down with some BLO and steel wool to knock the grain down and add moisture back to the wood . Just don't throw the steel wool soaked in linseed oil in the trash can !

Other in that remember these are mil issue weapons and not built for wood fanciers !
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:53:14 PM EDT
[#4]
maybe they left it rough for better grip? I prefer the "rougher" texture & wood grain
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most of the Numrich Imported ones had been chemically degreased which is why the wood is dry and so rough to the touch. Rub it down with some BLO and steel wool to knock the grain down and add moisture back to the wood . Just don't throw the steel wool soaked in linseed oil in the trash can !

Other in that remember these are mil issue weapons and not built for wood fanciers !

On another C&R board I used to hang out on,  they would  FREAK if you spoke of sandpaper and a C&R.

+ 1 on the steel wool and BLO.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm going to completely finish my 24/47 wood shortly.  It has the feeling of wood that has been soaked in something and the grain has risen.  I doubt these rifle have any real history so I'm going to make mine pretty.

It looks like these were new wood that was soaked in cosmo and packed away.  Mine looks like there's no finish at all on it.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]
that is the same way with mine I think it will come out nice with a linseed oil and still wool, So far there has been a tonne of cosmo seeping out when I steemed it, but Ive almost got all of it out
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm going to completely finish my 24/47 wood shortly.  It has the feeling of wood that has been soaked in something and the grain has risen.  I doubt these rifle have any real history so I'm going to make mine pretty.

It looks like these were new wood that was soaked in cosmo and packed away.  Mine looks like there's no finish at all on it.

home.earthlink.net/~theoneandonlyhoppy/images/c&r/2447b.JPG

that's how I felt about my yugo capture 98.  It had a yugo made stock installed.  the grain of the wood and the texture felt nothing like the German wood stocks I've seen.

here it is after I refinished it:

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:50:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

home.earthlink.net/~theoneandonlyhoppy/images/c&r/2447b.JPG

that's how I felt about my yugo capture 98.  It had a yugo made stock installed.  the grain of the wood and the texture felt nothing like the German wood stocks I've seen.

here it is after I refinished it:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/K98_4.jpg

Excellent job MM.

I'm going to sand mine smooth and try a reddish stain followed by some tung oil.  These really look like they were bare wood when they were soaked in cosmo so I guess the original finish was probably cosmo.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top