Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 8:04:06 PM EDT
I have done some research and there seems to be a No1 MK 3 and a No1 MK3*. One of them is also referred to as a SMLE. Which one do I have?

My Enfield is a 1950 Ishapor. It has long range sights (I guess - its a long rear sight that pulls up in the air), it has a little metal circle in front of the mag, it does NOT have the circle disc running thru the stock as I have seen on some. Which do I have and is one better than the other?

As Always- Thanx for your help=
Bill
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#1]
It should tell you what you have on the side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It says
GRI
1950       *
No. 1 MK 3
The star is above the 3 not next to it.  I never noticed it- thanx. Now that I know its a No 1 MK3*, is that the SMLE? Whats the differnece between the mk3 and the mk3*

Bill
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:48:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Does it look sort of like this? If so it was probably actually made in Australia.

The seven-pointed star which appears on many Australian military items can be traced back directly to the Australian flag.  The original 1901 flag had six stars (one each for the six colonies), each with six points. In 1905 it was proposed to add a seventh point to each star for Papua New Guinea.  The 1905 Australian flag is still in use today.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:08:30 AM EDT
[#5]
NO, The GRI is the factory code for Ishapor, India. But the star does have 7 points- mayve you're right- maybe it means factory thorough repair.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:19:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#7]
The asterisk may mean that it is an SMLE without the mag cut off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top