Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 3:08:40 PM EDT
I'm a CR newbie, so I need some help.  I just aquired a Walther P38, supposedly a WWII bring back.  Its all matching, and in OK shape, and I was curious what the markings meant, so I googled some of the them.  I found this site, and it SEEMS to be a rare gun:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/uniforms_firearms/firearms/p38/p38index.htm

Honestly, that information seems too good to be true to me.  I'm sure I'm missing an import mark or something.  Can anyone provide me with more info on this pistol, or direct me to somewhere I can get more info?

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics are huge, but very awesome. I am no expert on P.38s, but am still looking to get one. Even if it doesn't have a history to match the story, it still seems like a nice shooter with some character.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Try this link : http://forums.p38forum.com/forums/index.php

Lots of knowledge on the site.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm no expert, but if that site you posted the link to is accurate about there only being ~700 BYF42's made, and you BYF42 stamp is legit, then it would appear that you have a quite rare, and probably quite valuable pistol in those photographs/
Paul
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
First, if you want to absolutely confirm rarity, contact Orv Reichert at p38forum.com/.  I believe he is the resident expert on P-38s.

I found a production chart in the Tech Info section of that site that gives numbers produced and rarity.  It shows that there are two variations of the Byf 42 type.  The 1st variation is indeed rare and rates 10 on their 1-10 scale.  The second variation is more common (15000 made) and rates a 5 on their scale.  I believe the "only 700 made" is inaccurate unless it refers to the 1st variation.

Hope this helps.
LL
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to everyone who responded.  I have a post in the p38 forum now, hopefully I'll get some answers.  Post is here

forums.p38forum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9383
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top