Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 2:44:36 PM EDT
had an out of battery mishap with my rifle.  i was trying to close the bolt, the round was not coming up out of the mag far enough for the bolt to grap it, gave it a little too much force and kaboom.  i got some unburnt powder in my hand and soliled my panties.  after composing myself, i saw the stock is now cracked and the bullet and part of the shell is stuck in the breech.  can i get a new stock?  or who is a good gatsmith to look the gun over?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW!! thanks for the precaution, where did the bullet go. i guess i shouldnt be slamming the bolt home then.....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#2]
it's stuck half way in the barrel.  along with the sholder of the shell
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn,glad you are O.K..

I just had a conversation with someone recently about the danger of cycling live rounds thru a gun in the house.You just never know.ETA-not saying anything about you,just in general.

I tapped a stuck round out of a barrel one time with a piece of steel from a farm store.I guess it would depend on how far in it is,but it definitely needs to get checked over.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF is that all about????
I was thinking about buying one of the MN 39 because of their low price, but I have my doubts now.

Is this a design flaw??  I can't imagine that a rifle in proper operating condition would even be capable of such a screwup!  They are supposed to be made dummy proof (no offense shindawia6). I've never heard of this happening with any of the many Mauser types, or any other rifle, for that matter.

Got any pics?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:14:13 AM EDT
[#5]
This is a far from normal occurance.  It could be that the follower spring in the magazine had failed.  On any rifle, if it is not working properly forcing it is not a good idea.  It is telling you somthing so you better listen.  

I have 13 rifles build on Mosin Nagant receivers and I am a regular on the two sites dedicated to these rifles.  I have never heard of this before on any of them.  M39's are excellent rifles.  But they are not new and careful examination is necessary on any milsurp you use.

I would not use a wooden dowel to try to force the bullet out of the breech it could swell up itself when it hits the tip of the bullet and may get jammed itself.  A cleaning rod may do the trick.  

Go to this site: www.gunboards.com/forums/  Check out the Collectors Forum.  

Those people there should be able to point you in the right direction for repairs.   It may be possible to repair the stock with some Gorilla glue and a few dowel pins.  Some people there have down remarkable repairs to badly damaged stocks.  I know of no new stocks for these, but they may be able to help you find a used one if yours cannot be repaired.  They should also be able to tell you what to look for as to what could have caused the failure to feed properly in the first place.  Very knowledgable groups of serious, but helpful collectors.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
WTF is that all about????
I was thinking about buying one of the MN 39 because of their low price, but I have my doubts now.

Is this a design flaw??  I can't imagine that a rifle in proper operating condition would even be capable of such a screwup!  They are supposed to be made dummy proof (no offense shindawia6). I've never heard of this happening with any of the many Mauser types, or any other rifle, for that matter.

Got any pics?

yeah you better not, theyre totally unsafe.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe I remember reading that Tennesee Guns had Finn M39 stocks several months ago.  Might want to check there.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
their currently SOLD OUT
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It sounds as if you were trying to chamber a round with an uncocked bolt.  I can't imagine any other way that you be able to FOOB.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:20:29 AM EDT
[#10]
here are pics of the stock.  getting the bullet out was a pain in the ass.  i was shooting czech ammo went the gun went boom.  before it went boom, i was using albania ammo and it feed fine.  the czech ammo was hanging up in the mag.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:47:30 PM EDT
[#12]
i'm thinking it had to have been the lip on the bolt.  i thought i grabed the blown shell from the range, but i must have left it at the range.  i do remember the primer was not hit by the firing pin, no hole in the primer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#13]
how much force did you drive it home with, was there definatly some resistance that didnt feel right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:01:17 PM EDT
[#14]
how much force did you drive it home with, was there definatly some resistance that didnt feel right?

i was just using enough force to get the round picked up by the bolt.  i fired 15rds of the albania ammo with no problems, no hang ups in the mag.  loaded 5rds of the czech ammo, 1st and 2nd round was fine, 3rd round hung up a little but fed.  4th round, see pic
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:50:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Ther is a place called Wholesale Guns and Ammo in Long Island that may have a stock.  

www.gunsnammo.com/
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ther is a place called Wholesale Guns and Ammo in Long Island that may have a stock.  

www.gunsnammo.com/

+1 they do as of the last email I got from them...2 weeks ago....check your trigger/ bolt stop. I have  a Hungarian m44 that would fire if hit the back of the bolt or (how I found out) bump the cocked rifle on ground hard on the butt. The trigger was extremely light too. New trigger/bolt stop was $16 belivered and cured it.

Also check your firing pin protrusion and if the pin or spring is broken. if the bolt is cocked, there is NO way it would fire unles something is broken or the ammo is at fault. Mosins cock on opening and there are no rough edges on the bolt face. so either its broken/wornout parts, debris, or an ammo issue.

For the stuck bullet, I had the same thing happen with Albanian in my M38 and used a buch of hard wood dowel pieces to drive it out. I cut the pieces about 3" long and stacked them in as i drove out the bullet. Mine was stuck about half way up the bore.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
I wonder if he was holding the trigger inadvertantly when he forced the bolt forward.  Also, it is difficult to chamber a round if the bolt does not pick it up from the mag and slide it under the extractor.  I keep thinking that the failure was in the technique and not in the rifle.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I have found that the Mosin action works best if it is worked "with authority". I practically slap the bolt up, back, forward and down. Particularly the forward stroke to chamber the round. A slow dragging motion seems to cause more hangups than a smart shove. I haven't had any problems with this technique.

Just my 2c,

X
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#19]
You can try Boyds stocks
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Images/Parts/300-158.jpg

Pretty stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]
no i did not have my finger on the trigger.  i'm right handed and i was working the bolt with my right hand.  my fringers aren't long enough to reach the trigger and bolt,  my wife wishes my fingers were longer

here is a stupid question.  there looks like there is a piece of the brass still in the chamber, looks like the neck of  shell.  but the rounds drop right in. do i have a clear chamber?  i ruined a few 45acp bore brushes trying to get it out
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
here is a stupid question.  there looks like there is a piece of the brass still in the chamber, looks like the neck of  shell.  but the rounds drop right in. do i have a clear chamber?  i ruined a few 45acp bore brushes trying to get it out

You may want to get a broken shell extractor to be safe.  Check Tapco, Sarco, Numrich, etc.

I'm still trying to figure out how this problem could have happened.  I have ~30 Mosin Nagants in the ol' collection (8 of which are Finn M39s) and I've never come close to having a problem like this, nor have I ever heard of such a problem.  I don't see how the bolt face could possibly have done something like this.  What are the chances that you tried chambering a round when there was already one in the chamber?  That could potentially lead to some bad ju-ju like this.

How does the receiver look now?  The stock's busted up, but what about the magazine or the rest of the receiver?

Cheers,

~ Greg ~
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#22]
What are the chances that you tried chambering a round when there was already one in the chamber? That could potentially lead to some bad ju-ju like this

none because the round before my kaboom made a nice hole in the paper.  i also have a few mn's and this is the first for me.  the receiver, bolt, and mag all look good.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What are the chances that you tried chambering a round when there was already one in the chamber? That could potentially lead to some bad ju-ju like this

none because the round before my kaboom made a nice hole in the paper.  i also have a few mn's and this is the first for me.  the receiver, bolt, and mag all look good.  

That sounded like the most reasonable answer.  Guess not, though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Are you sure you didn't accidentally, especially fighting with the feeding, accidentally get one round into the chamber and then another one stripped off the magazine?  In other words, I'm looking at the possibility you set off the primer of one round with the pointed bullet tip of another.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:30:13 AM EDT
[#25]
don't see how.  the bullet was stuck in the barrel about 1/4 of the way up.  like i said before the round before the kaboom went down range with out incident.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#26]
The round you FIRED before went down range without incident.   But it may have left a bur or ring of neck brass int he chamber which kept the next round from closing.  

Then you had trouble feeding a round.

And if, in the process of feeding that round, you racked the bolt backwards again and the holder on the left side of the receiver had a week spring or was actuated to allow anotherround to come up, then pushing forward would have pressed the second cartrige point first against the primer of the round you thought you were feeding.

I can't see any other way for this to happen.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The round you FIRED before went down range without incident.   But it may have left a bur or ring of neck brass int he chamber which kept the next round from closing.  

Then you had trouble feeding a round.

And if, in the process of feeding that round, you racked the bolt backwards again and the holder on the left side of the receiver had a week spring or was actuated to allow anotherround to come up, then pushing forward would have pressed the second cartrige point first against the primer of the round you thought you were feeding.

I can't see any other way for this to happen.  

That, to me, sounds like the best theory so far. A round nearly fully chambered, but not supported by the seated bolt head, might develop enough pressure to CATO like that. It doesn't seem likely that a round detonated outside the chamber would build that much pressure before rupturing. Also, unless the cartridge was chambered (or partly so), it seems unlikely that the projo would be that far down the pipe ("1/4 of the way"). Did the bolt blow completely out of the action, or was it stopped by the trigger sear?

X
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top