Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2006 7:41:19 PM EDT
I just finished cleaning my 1903 up the other day, and while holding it yesterday I noticed a couple marks on it I didn't notice while it was dirt. On the left side (opposite bolt handle) of the stock are three distinguishable marks that appear to be inked and not stmpaed. First are the letters RA (I believe it's an A, but half is worn off) possibly in a box (could just be the grain), followed by the crest with the crossed cannons, and finally a box with the letters EJA. There are also two stamped on underside near the trigger/grip area; both are a P in a circle, but one appears to be raised and the other is stamped and about 10% larger.

Just curious what these meant.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The EJA is most likely FJA.

FJA is an inspection mark.  Stands for Lt.Col. Frank J. Atwood.  This would have been applied when the rifle was first built.

RA is a rebuild mark.  Stands for Raritan Arsenal which is where the rifle was rebuilt.

P is a firing proof mark.  Two of them simply means it was proofed a second time when rebuilt.

LL
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Wha! Those are my grandpas initials! that was the rifles he left to me when he died. Now give it back!!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The EJA is most likely FJA.

FJA is an inspection mark.  Stands for Lt.Col. Frank J. Atwood.  This would have been applied when the rifle was first built.

RA is a rebuild mark.  Stands for Raritan Arsenal which is where the rifle was rebuilt.

P is a firing proof mark.  Two of them simply means it was proofed a second time when rebuilt.

LL

Negatory good buddy. RA stands for Remington Arms. The stock is most likely originally a Remington M1903A3 stock. I bet if NeoWeird looks harder at the left side of the butt, he will see a RIA/EB rebuild stamping.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Negatory good buddy. RA stands for Remington Arms. The stock is most likely originally a Remington M1903A3 stock. I bet if NeoWeird looks harder at the left side of the butt, he will see a RIA/EB rebuild stamping.

You are in fact right. I didn't notice it because there are several BURN marks on the rifle, along with a massive amount of dings and dents, even after steaming out the smaller ones. The RIA over the EB is there in a box, it's just a bit harder to see than the other marks. So what does the RIA/EB mean?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:11:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are in fact right. I didn't notice it because there are several BURN marks on the rifle, along with a massive amount of dings and dents, even after steaming out the smaller ones. The RIA over the EB is there in a box, it's just a bit harder to see than the other marks. So what does the RIA/EB mean?

RIA = Rock Island Arsenal
EB = Elmer M. Bjerke, Foreman of Small Arms Inspection at RIA from 1947-1958
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Rock Island Arsenal rebuild.  EB was the inspector, Elmer Bjerkes or some such.  Don't have the book in front of me.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I based the RA mark on this page: m1903.com/rbmarks.htm

I have a RA stamped Smith Corona 1903A3 that came in it's original NRA box that was shipped directly from Raritan Arsenal to the person that bought it through the NRA in the '60s (for $19 I might add).

I did a little searching and found that RA-P (or RA-something) would be a Raritan Arsenal stamp.  I apologize if I threw out bad information.

LL
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#8]
No sweat. Now I know what the RA-P means if I ever see it.

Always remember: If it adds knowledge, it's always good information.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top