Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 11:18:11 PM EDT
As I have already posted I finally got my CMP order so I am itching to take the rifles out shooting. I have some commercial ammo already, but I want to get some surplus for plinking and having fun. I know the Korean surplus is coming in now, but I vaugely remember hearing a warning to avoid it under some circumstances. So I am just asking here for general information on surplus 30-06.

What's the best bang for the buck right now?

What ammo should be avoided?

What's the deal with the Korean stuff? What about the Korean ammo already on Enblocks?

Is there any readily available non-Korean surplus out right now?

Thanks for any info/direction you can give.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I like the Korean ammo on the market right now.  Check headstamps.  KA=corrosive, PS=noncorrosive.  It shoots about 3" groups at 100yds from my Greek Service Grade and leaves behind lots of good brass for loading 1.5" ammo. I clean my weapon completely after every shooting session and also shoot other C&R's so corrosive ammo isn't a problem for me.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
As was noted above the Korean is about the only game in town right now and can be very good. The CMP does sell 30-06 and they have a good supply right. Occassionaly you run across some of the Danish stuff which was very nice.
I have no problems using the corrosive Korean stuf as long as you clean it up.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#3]
And don't buy a lot of commercial 30.06 for you Garand before checking it out. My Garand doesn't like commercial loads, too long to chamber well. It has no problems with the Korean.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
The Korean on en-bloc clips is corrosive, and the Korean in boxes is not. Don't be afraid of using corrosive ammo, especially if you find a good price on some. It only takes one extra step during cleaning and about 5 extra minutes. Remember, corrosive was used for a long time, just clean properly after.
Avoid heavy bullets, basically heavier than 175gr will cause problems. The heavier bullets use a slower powder that can bend your op-rod. If you do want to shoot the heavier stuff buy an adjustable gas cylinder.

Jim
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Korean on en-bloc clips is corrosive, and the Korean in boxes is not.
Jim

You can't count on this being true.  In my case it's just opposite.  I bought PS in clips and KA in boxes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#7]
CMP has both some LC in boxes and some Pyrkal "greek" ammo The Greek is available both in boxes and in bandoleers of clips. The USGI and Greek in boxes both run roughly $0.25 round (After I add sales tax here in Alabama) and the ammo in clips costs about $0.005 more per round. You can deduct 8% from the prices I listed if you live outside of Alabama or 1.5% if you live in Ohio (DANGED taxeshadPaul
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been a bit fearful of ordering ammo from the CMP. I thought I read somewhere that the ammo can't be dropped at the door, not can it be left at the FedEx place, so if no one signs for it then it goes back to CMP without a chance to drive in and pick it up yourself. If that's true, it kind of makes getting ammo from them bad since work makes being there to sign for it impossible sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:51:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've been a bit fearful of ordering ammo from the CMP. I thought I read somewhere that the ammo can't be dropped at the door, not can it be left at the FedEx place, so if no one signs for it then it goes back to CMP without a chance to drive in and pick it up yourself. If that's true, it kind of makes getting ammo from them bad since work makes being there to sign for it impossible sometimes.

I haven't had a problem with this.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't had a problem with this.

You haven't had a problem as in they drop it at the door or that they hold it for you to pick up personally?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I should have specified .

They dropped it at my door.  Maybe the guy was doing something he shouldn't have, but it works for me .  My CMP rifles, however, require a signature and I wasn't home so I went and picked it up at the local FedEx place no problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top