Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 2:36:02 PM EDT
I had some time off today so that my builder could do some warranty work to our house. In the process of them doing their work, I decided to finally begin my first mil-surp refinishing project. The rifle is a Sauer & Sohn 1944 Mauser.

After reading for many, many weeks on different message boards, I decided to give Formby's Furniture Refinisher a try. Overall, it seemed to work pretty good. I debated the oven cleaning method but just didn't feel comfortable trying that. After the stripping was done, I rubbed the stock down with 0000 steel wool to take some of the edges down and remove some loose wood fibers. After that, I rinsed it in extremely hot water. The hot water rinse really made a difference in the final appearance of the stock. Prior to the rinse, the extent of the finish stripping was not apparent due to residue left behind. I dried the stock off, oiled the metal parts and put the stock on the stand to dry.  Here is a picture of the stripped stock:

Alot of people out there seem to like the dishwasher method and achieve similar results. However, I really enjoyed the "bonding" time stripping the stock. In the process I found a couple of different waffenampts that I probably never would have known were there if I hadn't taken the time and worked with the stock so closely. I found some additional stamped single digit numbers in a couple of places as well.

While I was stripping it, I noticed a "fish scale" appearance in some places. Below is a close up of the stock to show you an example. Overall, the wood seems to be in decent shape for a WWII rifle.

I'm letting it dry all weekend since I will be out of town. Next week, I will start applying coats of BLO. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top