Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 1:12:50 PM EDT
Was thinking rap it in either news paper or a towel, open the hood of your car, place it near the front of the hood and let the car run on idle, let the heat from the engine melt the cosmo off the stock, what say the C&R hive mind?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not a good idea for several reasons.

1.  foreign objects do not belong under your hood.
2.  if idling, this is not good for your car; if running down the road, still not good for your car, dangerous and risky for the stock
3.  there are better and safer ways
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was thinking rap it in either news paper or a towel, open the hood of your car, place it near the front of the hood and let the car run on idle, let the heat from the engine melt the cosmo off the stock, what say the C&R hive mind?

Alright the cosmo fumes have kicked in. just kidding.

Wood hot motor gas, whens the cook out?

I would suggest alminum foil rappings, and you can cook things like sausage hotdogs and breads while cooking your stock.

Just don't do it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt you would get enough heat to make a difference when you get the stock in a position that it wouldn't interfer with the operation of the engine.

I've seen some really inovative ideas for drying chambers made of heating ducting and a space heater.  

Sit it by the furnace and wipe it down with a paper towel every so often.  It's a good time of year for that.  

If you have plenty of sunshine then wrap it in paper towels then into a black garbage bag then sit it in the direct sunlight for a few days.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a $15 method that's safe, easy, and neat.

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=14&t=179347

And oh yeah, it works really good!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#5]
black garbage bag, kitty litter, rope, and a bright sunny hot day.

No Expert

ETA. Check out surplusrifle.com if you haven't already
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

swingset, think I'm gonna go with your method tonight.

Do you close off the other end or let the warm air pass through and out of the tube?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That'e the one!

If I used a bigger heater could I cure bake-on paints?

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That'e the one!

If I used a bigger heater could I cure bake-on paints?

I did this method tonight for about 3 hours.  

It worked wonders I'd have to say.

The only thing I did differently was plug the end of the pipe with some newspaper, created a hotter chamber, and that stuff came out faster and more at a time.  

I had the same thought you did, in that it might work as a curer for spray on finishes.  Try it out and let me know.

btw, again what did you use on that No1 MK3?  that was amazing.

-mark
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:04:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The only thing I did differently was plug the end of the pipe with some newspaper, created a hotter chamber, and that stuff came out faster and more at a time.  

I had the same thought you did, in that it might work as a curer for spray on finishes.  Try it out and let me know.

-mark

I used Brownells Gun-Coat bake on finish.  Everything has to be clean, spray a light coat on, let it dry and pop into the oven at 350 for an hour.  It's one hell of an indestructable finish and resists all solvents.  It's so thin it can be used on all parts and it will act as it's own lube.  I have two more cans on the way right now for the gas tube on my Garand and I'm also doing my whole WASR-10.  

Here's a hint that Martha Stewart won't tell ya.  If you end up like some of us and the kitchen stove has to serve as your curing oven the smell of curing paint will be a dead giveaway to your significant other as well as anyone else residing on the block so open some windows and turn on the fan.  When your finished and move the parts out run the ovens self-clean cycle and it will eliminate all traces of odor.  Give yourself about three hours for this to run.  My wife is pretty good and has adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy concerning her appliances and their use after she goes to bed at night as long as all traces are removed before she gets up in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:30:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My wife is pretty good and has adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy concerning her appliances and their use after she goes to bed at night as long as all traces are removed before she gets up in the morning.

Ah yes, the "leave no trace" philosophy/strategy. Works for so many things.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:38:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-mark

I used Brownells Gun-Coat bake on finish.  Everything has to be clean, spray a light coat on, let it dry and pop into the oven at 350 for an hour.  It's one hell of an indestructable finish and resists all solvents.  It's so thin it can be used on all parts and it will act as it's own lube.  I have two more cans on the way right now for the gas tube on my Garand and I'm also doing my whole WASR-10.  

Here's a hint that Martha Stewart won't tell ya.  If you end up like some of us and the kitchen stove has to serve as your curing oven the smell of curing paint will be a dead giveaway to your significant other as well as anyone else residing on the block so open some windows and turn on the fan.  When your finished and move the parts out run the ovens self-clean cycle and it will eliminate all traces of odor.  Give yourself about three hours for this to run.  My wife is pretty good and has adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy concerning her appliances and their use after she goes to bed at night as long as all traces are removed before she gets up in the morning.

about to order some now, what did you use, the gloss-black aerosol can?

ETA:  I also do not have access to an oven big enough to bake a barreled receiver of any milsurp, so I'm kind of lost on how I would heat this thing.

Would putting it in my improvised heating chamber for a few hours be enough or is the 350 degree temp needed to cure right?

-mark
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:26:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
about to order some now, what did you use, the gloss-black aerosol can?

ETA:  I also do not have access to an oven big enough to bake a barreled receiver of any milsurp, so I'm kind of lost on how I would heat this thing.

Would putting it in my improvised heating chamber for a few hours be enough or is the 350 degree temp needed to cure right?

-mark

I used the matte black aerosol.  

I did my Enfield barreled receiver in our kitchen oven.  I took all the racks out then put the receiver in one back corner and the muzzle in the opposite corner.  I then lifted the muzzle end up as I closed the oven door.  It still lacked about 1/2 in. from closing fully, but it worked well enough.  I'm not sure you could heat the drying chamber to 350, but if you can I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#14]
do you mind posting that final pic of your Enfield again?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
do you mind posting that final pic of your Enfield again?

The pics make the shine more than what it really is.  It actually comes out like a flat black.

I did not do the bolt or bolt handle.  The bolt handle I used a cold blue solution (44-40).
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#16]
how did the spray on aerosol coat?  I've always been afraid with aerosol cans as you can't control the flow speed of the paint, and some areas might be thicker than others.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
how did the spray on aerosol coat?  I've always been afraid with aerosol cans as you can't control the flow speed of the paint, and some areas might be thicker than others.

I didn't have any problem with it.  I shook it well and tried a short test spray.  I sprayed two light coats and one 6oz can did the whole rifle except the bolt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top