Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 6:12:15 AM EDT

Can someone guess most likely what the wood is coated in?  I plan on stripping whatever finish is on it, and putting on my own, after I steam the dents out.

-mark
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
all my Yugos have had the stocks liberally soaked with the same grease that is preserving  the metal.    it was not a fun project to get it all to bleed out.

fogot to add:  nice m98
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Cosmoline is my guess, it melts at around 160-170° F, you can put it in the oven at about 180, no need to go higher, and watch it, it will seep out and if not to hard to do. Also the steam from getting out the dents will melt it also.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
yep, managed to put all the small metal parts minus the barrel/receiver and main stock body into the oven.

the top handguard had all of the cosmo cooked out, washed it down, and it was a perfectly dried unfinished piece of wood.  now I need to figure out how to heat up the main stock, won't fit in my oven.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
SHOULD BE EASY FOR YOU IN TEXAS....WRAP THE STOCK IN A ROLL OR SO OF PAPER TOWELS, PUT IN A BLACK PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG, AND SET ON THE REAR SHELF OF ANY OLD CAR AND PARK IN THE SUN....DOESN'T WORK SO WELL HERE IN THE GREAT NORTHWET, BUT SHOULD BE THE BALLS DOWN IN TEXAS....CHANGE THE PAPER TOWELS FREQENTLY...THEY'LL NEED IT...............
--CARLOS
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SHOULD BE EASY FOR YOU IN TEXAS....WRAP THE STOCK IN A ROLL OR SO OF PAPER TOWELS, PUT IN A BLACK PLASTIC GARBAGE BAG, AND SET ON THE REAR SHELF OF ANY OLD CAR AND PARK IN THE SUN....DOESN'T WORK SO WELL HERE IN THE GREAT NORTHWET, BUT SHOULD BE THE BALLS DOWN IN TEXAS....CHANGE THE PAPER TOWELS FREQENTLY...THEY'LL NEED IT...............
--CARLOS

Yup.  That's exactly how I did mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be all over that method if it was May but it's the beginning of MARCH!!!

I guess it will work just a really slow rate.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Hair dryer works too.   I have had pretty good luck slathering the stock with Fast Orange or the like and then putting it into a tub with hot water in it.  Just claen the tub afterwards and tell your wife you cleaned the bathroom.

I made two acquisitions the pst two days.  A 24/47 and a Ruccian capture "42".
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hair dryer works too.   I have had pretty good luck slathering the stock with Fast Orange or the like and then putting it into a tub with hot water in it.  Just claen the tub afterwards and tell your wife you cleaned the bathroom.

I made two acquisitions the pst two days.  A 24/47 and a Ruccian capture "42".

yep, I might just have to try the hair dryer for a while.  I did that with my Russian Capture 98 but it had far less cosmo, only a small amount left in the stock.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top