Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:57:47 AM EDT
I have and original side mount and base for a Mosin 91\30 rifle, I took it to a local Gunsmith to have it installed on my 91\30 and he told me that he couldn't do the job because if he drilled and taped the receiver the rifle could become apart when fired. is this BS ?
I will like to know if anyone else installed an original  side mount in to a 91\30 receiver ..
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Although that's not very realistic if you drilled in the right places, on his end and with other smith's I've talked to, there is a big liability factor when doing work on older C&R guns.  Simply because their quality of steel could be suspect.  You'd most likely have to do it yourself, as I haven't found a smith in my area that will drill and tap a nagant.

go to www.surplusrifle.com they have a treasure trove of do-it-yourself articles for C&Rs.  Especially for the Nagants.  In fact I think there is an article on how to install the side mount.

-mark
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#2]
It's BS. Coles made LOTS of repro 91/30 snipers over the last few years. People generally report favorably. Haven't heard a word about them coming apart

Also, lot's of "ex" snipers, where the original holes were plugged, that people later restored without any issues.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:11:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Blackwolf, where'd you pick up your sidemount and base?  I'm hunting for one myself right now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw that you are in Texas, if you are in eastern part there is a fellow inWoodville by the name of Wesley Knight at Knight Gun Works. He did mine back a couple years ago and it was perfict.(409)331-9513 this is his phone number and his e-mail is  [email protected].

drj
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I got the Mount on Ebay ....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks drj3828 I will give him a call....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top