Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 4:02:14 PM EDT
I have a Chinese SKS and it had the built in clip. I went to a show today in VIrginia and picked up a 30 round clip for the SKS. I can't get it to fit. I removed the trigger assembly and tried to out the mag in. It doesn't "sink in" far enough for the lip on the trigger assembly to catch it. Are there different mags that fit the different sks's? Is it possible I have a Chinese SKS and a Romanian or Yugo clip, or are all the clips interchageable?

If it doesn't work for me, anyone want to buy a brand new 30 round SKS clip?

Bill
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry to tell you that almost everyone of the 30rd mags(actually all detach mags) for the SKS were/are junk.  the SKS was designed to feed from an integral magazine with no feed lips (feed lips are part of the receiver).  i have friends that got theirs (30rd mags) to run about 95% with alot of filing/ fitting/tweaking.  i would suggest sticking with the original fixed 10rd mag (they run 100%) and get a bunch of stripper clips.  with a little practice you wouldn't believe how fast you can be with 10rd stripper clips.    
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
sorry to tell you that almost everyone of the 30rd mags(actually all detach mags) for the SKS were/are junk.  the SKS was designed to feed from an integral magazine with no feed lips (feed lips are part of the receiver).  i have friends that got theirs (30rd mags) to run about 95% with alot of filing/ fitting/tweaking.  i would suggest sticking with the original fixed 10rd mag (they run 100%) and get a bunch of stripper clips.  with a little practice you wouldn't believe how fast you can be with 10rd stripper clips.    

+1

After messing with many different aftermarket magazines I came to the same conclusion, they are all junk. The original fixed 10 rounder is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
30 round SKS mags are pretty much homing pigeons...

they go back to where they came from!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree that they are junk.  You do know that on AR15.com you are supposed to ask questions about stuff before you buy don't you?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the tab on the back of the MAGAZINE in a vice and bend it until it fits.  I did that a few years ago and my mag worked fine.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
my 30 rounder fit but was a jammomatic for the first 15 rounds. I went back to the original 10 rounder.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a damn AK if you want 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#8]
The 30 round mags are crapy solutions to a non existant problem.  They are junk for the most part and turn a handy carbine into an awkward jammomatic.

Learn how to speed load using stripper clips.  You will find that using strippers in the stock 10 round mag is much faster than loading and shooting the 30 rounders (even if on odd chance you were to get it to work.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a couple that were OK, but that was YEARS ago.

I don't even screw with them anymore.

I much perfer the internal mag nowadays, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
if you want more than 10 rds in an SKS there are chinese fixed 20 rd mags floating around that are a direct replacement for the 10 rd.  they look like a stretched version of the 10 rd, and work the same way.  i haven't seen them listed for sale for about three years, but with some looking and WTB ads you'll prob be able to come up with one.  IIRC it was either Classic Arms, or Et Cetera that had them listed last in '03.  may give them a call and see if they have any rat-holed.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Get a damn AK if you want 30 rounds.

+1  

If you are looking for more 'firepower', the AK is the way to go.  I love my SKS's.  But keep them with their 10 round magazine and you will have no problems.

ETA:  And not to bust your balls, but since you are talking about an SKS, the integral magazine is referred to as the original 10-round box magazine.  

The 'clip' is what you slide 10 rounds onto for storing ammo before you load the SKS:

A 30-round magazine is referred to as a 'magazine', not a 'clip'.

It just got a little confusing the way you were using the terminology.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#12]
You are correct. You would thing a retired Army guy should know that! My Bad.

Thanx-
Bill

I think I am gonna buy a AK, are any of them C&R eligible?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
There may be a couple of vet bring backs that qualify for C&R status, but the last non C&R ak i saw for sale was a polytech conversion in the $20,000 range.  for a WAG a vet bring back C&R ak would prob be at least double that.  no semi ak are C&R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top