Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 7:54:22 AM EDT
I know it's probably a stupid question, but it always gets asked at the range, and the best I can figure is that it's for compressing the firing pin spring, which I've never actually tried.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#1]
It is for risk-free compression of the firing pin spring during a strip down of the bolt assembly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly as Will-Rogers said.  To disassemble the bolt you have to put the firing pin against something while you push down on the bolt sleeve compressing the main spring and allowing the cocking sleeve to turn.

www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/mauserboltdisassembly/

Instead of putting pressure on the tip of the firing pin (such as pushing it against a block of wood) which can break, the hole puts all the pressure on the main body of the firing pin which is much stronger.

LL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top