Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 2:48:55 PM EDT
I sent off my application for a C&R on January 23rd and just received my credit card statement. Turns out they charged it on February 1st! Outstanding speed! Needless to say i'm pretty happy about it, I thought it would be a lot longer for them to shuffle it that far. I know i'm jumping ahead a little bit as it will still take some time but I'd like to know what everyone thinks. I have my heart set on a mauser and I want to know what's everyones preference and where to get it. It's gotta be 8mm and a good shooter-> of course I want one that looks as good as it shoots but I don't have any need for a $$$collectable that sits and collects dust.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s a lot of different Mauser’s out there in 8MM.

Functionally they’re all pretty much the same (usually being M-98 actions).  Definitely check out the bores of anything you’re considering since in the past 8MM ammo was generally corrosive.

Also avoid mis-matched numbers if you can.

The Yugo M48 and M48A Mausers are generally in nice shape and pretty inexpensive.  However, they don’t seem to be as plentiful as they were a couple of years ago.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on getting the C&R bug. It will proubly take about 3 to 4 weeks for the license(maybe faster).

The current mauser market is hard to judge due to everything floating around out their. You can get a K98 for around 200 or less depending on what you want. The russian captures are the cheapest right now.
Southern Ohio Gun is currently selling Turkish mausers Model 38 for 59 bucks in their catalog. Now the turks were funny in that they took all their mausers and refurbished them in 1938 and called them all model 38. The one I received is a strait bolt K98 that is currently going to be a base for a custom rifle.

Now for a good shooter, look to Aim surplus or SOG for a Yugo m48. Most are clean with very good barrels and can be bought for less then 200 bucks. I bought mine for 130 dollars at my local shop. Very clean stock and like new barrel. The action is a midsize action that shoots 8mm, mine shoots 2 inches at 100 yards. But the rifle will shoot High due to miltary sights regulated to start at 200 meters. Most of the yugos will be in excellent condition, they made millions for their own citizens who just did not shoot them. A varient of the m48 was made for the egyptians and wil not have any markings on them(you  can always tell your budies it's cia issue).

hope this helps
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Look at AIM, SOG, etc. for Yugo M48s, Yugo M48As, Yugo 98ks, Yugo 24/47s, Russian Capture 98ks, German 98ks, and Czech VZ24s. Those are the best condition 8mm Mauser rifles.
The Turks are usually beat to crap and most of us buy them to sporterize. The Argentine, Chilean, Spanish and Mexican Mausers are tough to find in good condition. There are a lot of variations among the different year models.
If you want a German 98k but can't afford the price the Yugo 98k is a very good buy. The Yugoslavians took a lot of German 98ks as war reparations, ground off the Nazi markings, rearsenalled the rifles, and stamped the Yugo coat of arms on the receiver. They were then issued to their troops and are usually in good shape.
The M48s are an intermediate length action 8mm Mauser. The parts don't interchange with the 98ks but are usually in much better shape.

You do know that you can't have just one- right?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:18:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Yugo M48's are sweet.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I know you said you wanted 8mm, but have you thought about the Swedish Mausers?  The bullet is a 6.5mm and many may say its better than the 8mm.  The quality is much higher than any of the 8mm's mentioned above.  Check one out sometime, you'll see and feel the difference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite is the M48. I have one that I paid $55 for and it is a serious beater, but it is also an excellent shooter. You can't go wrong with the 8MM, ammo is dirt cheap. I have like 10K rounds in storage.

I also own turks, K98s, and czechs, but I always find myself reaching for that one M48 when I want to go make some noise at the range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Russian capture if you want a German one, or the Yugos.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What's the deal with the Persian Mausers? I really like the lettering on them and was thinking of picking one up when my license arrives.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
persians are brno czech made and are some of the finest available mausers. it would make a fine choice for a purchase, get em while you can.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The RC 98k's are a good way to get the real deal German Mausers. They make good shooters and are starting to get collectable.

I have a 1940 Turk M38 8mm, it is okay, but the headspace is bad, so I will have to get that fixed or get it reamed out to 8mm-06.

The Yugo M48's are good buys, and are great shooters. I like the Yugo 24/47's a bit more however as they seem a little more refined and the action is smoother.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:17:12 AM EDT
[#11]
The wait is killing me, I may just end up buying one of everything when the license comes in. Aimsurplus is looking pretty good right now, their prices on the yugo M48's and the 24/47 are not too bad. 97guns mentioned the persian ones and I was looking into SamcoGlobal ones but wasn't sure if it would be worth the price as I want to shoot it.  Now the k31's and the Mosin's are catching my eye, chances are I'll have projects to last me a year or more. Need to start working more hours, at least I have two son's so I can justify multiple purchases to my better half.  

I appreciate everyone's input, any thoughts on buying from Allens Armory or Samco Global? I like the grading system they have set up, gives you a better idea of what your getting so your not buying blind.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey guys,

I know next to nothing about Mausers, but would like to buy a nice one to go with my CMP Garand.  I'd like something a little nicer than just a shooter - I'd like to have one in as close to original shape as possible (i.e. matching parts and original markings).

This guy is asking $799 for this German example on Gunbroker.com:

mauser k98 CE 43 matching

I figured the price is kind of high, but I was wondering if it's outrageous for a German rifle in almost original condition (he includes photos of the matching numbers on most of the parts).

If this guy's asking too much, what would you all pay for this rifle in this condition?

Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#13]
That's not an outrageous asking price, matching K98's go for even more sometimes.  The production codes and years sometimes make a difference in colletor's value.

I'd probably just stick with the Russian Capture if you don't want to fork over that much, plus I'd be scared of eventually breaking a part that is matched and then no longer having an all-matching piece.

with a Russian Capture you don't have to worry about that much if at all.  I guess it depends on if you want a range plinker or a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want a good condition Mauser, but don't want to pay for an original German Mauser buy a Yugo 98k. It IS a German 98k Mauser, but the Nazi markings have been removed and the Yugo crest stamped on the top of the receiver. They are usually in very good shape. There are other variants like the M48s and the 24/47s, but the Yugo is the original rifle. The Russian Captures are too, and many still have some of the Nazi markings, but are usually not in the same condition as the Yugos.
Of course the condition available varies with what has been imported. Sometimes the RCs are better than the current Yugos, and sometimes it's the Yugos, but both the RCs and the Yugos are the most affordable examples of the 98k Mauser. The original German Mauser with all markings intact are usually more for the hardcore German Mauser collector just like the Collector Garands by the CMP.
HTH,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Application sent: January 23rd.
License recieved: February 27th.

Not bad at all for government time, only problem I see now is that the M48's are gone from aimsurplus. So the hunt for the right Mauser is on-> do I grab the 24/47 from them or look elsewhere? It's going to be my first C&R so I want it to be good, if you see any deals help me out and post them.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I would get a 24/47. Their condition is very good and will probably be better than any other Mauser.
Your second purchase ought to be a Swiss K31. It ain't a Mauser, but it is the most accurate milsurp rifle you will ever buy. Some of the stocks might be a little rough, but the bore will be better than anything else.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top