Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2006 9:14:19 PM EDT
I recently bought some cheap 8x57IS ammo made by Yugo manufacturer PPU and wish I hadn't. Hangfires or misfires on every second or third round. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CRAP!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Can you post specific lot #'s and maybe a Picture?
I've used some HotShot which is made for Century by PPU and I had no problems with it. I was using the 198 gr SP's
ETA: I assume you mean newer ammo, if you mean surplus could you tell us what the date was on it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Can do.

I bought them in Germany, but I figure these are also available in the U.S. Save yourself the disappointment and avoid them. Blue markings on the cartridges read 8x57 TRA.

Pic:

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Ther 1950's made Yugo 8mm has a problem with many of the primers set too deep.  This may be what you have.  If you reload it is still a good deal as the individual compoants are top notch.

I get it cheap around here and if it fails to go off, i pull the bullet, dump the pwder in a new primed case, seat the bullet and move on.

It is quite agrivating if you don't know ahead of time what the problem is.   If it is the same problem
you can see very clearly that the primers are set in way to deep.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ther 1950's made Yugo 8mm has a problem with many of the primers set too deep.  This may be what you have.  [...]

Negative. The guy in the gun store mentioned that this ammo might cause problems if the firing pin is worn, but my K98 is in perfect condition. There's a clearly visible, deep dent in the primer (just like you would get on a properly fired cartridge). I'll see if I can bring myself to save a couple of misfired rounds next time I'm at the range and I'll post pics of them, so you can see for yourself.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Can you describe the headstamp? Is it an 11 or 12 over 55 with two stars? Or is it the newer headstamp of PPU or NNY over a 4 digit date like 195x or 197x?

This is strange as 70's PPU/NNY(Prvi Partizan) as well as current commercial loadings is very well respected here as quality ammo. Their brass is very good. Some ammo from the 1950's has problems. I wont shoot Prvi with the old headstamp with the two stars which was used until 1956. In 1957, they switched to the newer NNY headstamp and I dont mind shooting ammo from this date forward. As far as I can tell, the 1957 yugo I have shot is just as good as the 1979 I shoot as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
also ive seen reports of a replacement 22# wolf striker spring doing the trick on this ammo. you can get them for $5.50 at brownells with your c&r license. have you shot other ammo in the gun with better results?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#7]
when i have the crappy yugo (the stuff with a star and date) stuff with a star not go off, I just recock and pul the trigger again and it fires.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ther 1950's made Yugo 8mm has a problem with many of the primers set too deep.  This may be what you have.  [...]

Negative. The guy in the gun store mentioned that this ammo might cause problems if the firing pin is worn, but my K98 is in perfect condition. There's a clearly visible, deep dent in the primer (just like you would get on a properly fired cartridge). I'll see if I can bring myself to save a couple of misfired rounds next time I'm at the range and I'll post pics of them, so you can see for yourself.

Disassemble your bolt, with the spring removed, try to stick the firing pin through the hole and measure the protrusion length.  I read here that 1/16" is minimum, but my K98 has easily 1/8" of protrusion.  I have similar Yugo ammo from 1954 with two stars.  The primer is seated deeper than most other 8mm ammo I have seen, such as the Turks, Romanian, and even the 1970s Yugo.  I had no problem shooting the 1954 Yugo using my K98 with the long firing pin.  However, I had more than 50% failure when using the other one with a slightly shorter firing pin.  When tried using Turks, the short pin rifle fired 100%.  So I think the failure are due to combination of deep seating primer and short/worn firing pin.  We use the Wolff 22 lbs spring on both guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
when i have the crappy yugo (the stuff with a star and date) stuff with a star not go off, I just recock and pul the trigger again and it fires.

That usually does the trick, but if you're doing it every on second shot it gets old fast and isn't really fun.

Responses here got me thinking. I admit I have no experience with PPU, so who knows, maybe it's only bad luck and I just got a really really crappy lot. I have shot ~1000 rounds through that rifle without any problems, SJ (Yugo), Sellier&Bellot (Czech) and Geco (German).

Will post a pic of the headstamp later and also measure the firing pin, thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That usually does the trick, but if you're doing it every on second shot it gets old fast and isn't really fun.

Responses here got me thinking. I admit I have no experience with PPU, so who knows, maybe it's only bad luck and I just got a really really crappy lot. I have shot ~1000 rounds through that rifle without any problems, SJ (Yugo), Sellier&Bellot (Czech) and Geco (German).

Will post a pic of the headstamp later and also measure the firing pin, thanks for the tip.

Yes I agree, It does get old, which is why I'm a bit reluctant to shoot my mauser these days all I have left is that stuff. However I really like the other 50's yugo stuff (NNY headstamp or whatever).
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is a scan of several types of Yugo ammo. The headstamp with two stars can have problems with certain lots. The late 50's and 70's headstamps with NNY are good. Also note the '11' and two stars version has a crimped primer while the others do not.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep, the problematic ammo out of my K98 has two stars in the headstamp.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Here is a scan of several types of Yugo ammo. The headstamp with two stars can have problems with certain lots. The late 50's and 70's headstamps with NNY are good. Also note the '11' and two stars version has a crimped primer while the others do not.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/tula1954sks/misc/yugo1.jpg

Thanks for that picture. The ammo I'm talking about is the type on the right: 2 stars, 12-55. Does that mean December 1955? So it's also corrosive, right? Ugh.

ETA:

Quoted:
Ther 1950's made Yugo 8mm has a problem with many of the primers set too deep.  This may be what you have.  If you reload it is still a good deal as the individual compoants are top notch.

<snip>

Looks like you were right after all. My sincere apology for disregarding your input all too quickly. Unfortunately reloading is not an option for me. Think I'll just avoid that ammo in the future and give away what I have left of it.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/tula1954sks/misc/yugo1.jpg

Thanks for that picture. The ammo I'm talking about is the type on the right: 2 stars, 12-55. Does that mean December 1955? So it's also corrosive, right? Ugh.

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

The '12'(or 11) is not a date, but a factory code. All surplus Yugo is corrosive. I have some Yugo 7.62x54R that was made in 1982, but it is still corrosive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top