Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:45:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#1]
quality is real good.  mags are easy to find, usually around $30.  i had one that ran like a champ, but many people have reported FTF because of the gun being originally designed for the 9mm largo cartridge.  the 9x19 is a little short for the mags, and can slid around abit front to back causing feed probs.  the only problem is that repalcment parts are almost impossible to find.  Sarco has the last of them, but is still sorting them out.  firing pins break if dry fired or so i've been told, i never dry fired mine.  $250 is a good price.  i wood not consider it an everyday shooter because of the lack of replacement parts.  that is why i sold mine, i wanted to shoot the hell out of it.  i sold it for $300 and bought a steyr m9 from CDNN for $300.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and am very happy with it. Star did make pistols in 9mm largo, but the Star Model B is 9mm parabelum. Replacements parts seem to be hard to find. As for mags, check on gun boards with a guy called Bob in St Louis. He has mags for these at about $20.00 a pop, used, good condition.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one about a month ago and I love it! It is very solid and a great shooter. Since it is basically a full size 1911 in 9mm, it has very little recoil and is easy to control. It shoots Winchester white box 115gr just fine. Take down and cleaning is just like a regular 1911. Check the bore before buying as it might have been shot with corrosive ammo at one time... the one on mine is mirror bright and looks brand new.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:37:36 AM EDT
[#4]
The Starr 1911 clones are awesome pistols.  My dad was given a Modelo A, many years ago, and almost never shot it because he couldn't get 9mm Largo to feed it, and had FTEs a lot of the time shooting vanilla 9mm.  

When I pointed out that 9mm +P or 9mm +P+ would make it nice and happy, he splurged for a spare barrel (so he could save the original) and started shooting the living hell out of it. :)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Ha ha!  I knew if I sat on my hands a couple of days, I'd see the answer here!

I wonder how interchangeable the parts are with the M1911 family.  I'm thinking a Model B would be a good base to build a carry gun on.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ha ha!  I knew if I sat on my hands a couple of days, I'd see the answer here!

I wonder how interchangeable the parts are with the M1911 family.  I'm thinking a Model B would be a good base to build a carry gun on.

Even though they are based on the 1911, Star pistols use unique parts that do not swap with standard Colts. They dont even swap well from one model of Star to another.(You cant use many Star A parts in a Star B and even Star Super B's have significant differences from regular B's.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]
wow.  Sounds like something to add to my list.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen two of these over the past couple of weeks, and was able to shoot one of them.

Both were in very good condition and the one I was able to shoot was 100% reliable with ball ammo.  

Don't let anyone tell you any different -- Star pistols are VERY well made and of quality materials.  

Even though I don't have a "B" model, I do have a "BM" model (a little smaller than the "B").   A really nice smaller-sized 9 mm handgun.

For the money these "B" models are a bargin  ! ! ! !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top