Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:12:29 AM EDT
I know, I know!!!  The barrel on mine however, has seen better days.

So, I've seen military contour barrels for around $130, which seems reasonable. My question to those that have done it, what else is involved? I would like to keep the original stock to keep it's surplus look, just want a better shooter.
Thanks, Boo
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a VZ24 last year and the same desire. I even aquired the new barrel for the rifle. Unfortunately my area has very few gunsmiths so I never got around to getting it installed. Sold the barrel, sold the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I had a VZ24 last year and the same desire. I even aquired the new barrel for the rifle. Unfortunately my area has very few gunsmiths so I never got around to getting it installed. Sold the barrel, sold the rifle.

Ah yes, the wonderful state of Washington, lots of guns and what, 3 gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for actual info...........anyone?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you planning on doing this yourself or having a gunsmith do it?

It’d be cheaper to sell the one you’ve got and buy a better one to begin with.  Granted, it’d still be in 8MM.

Basically, you need to remove the old barrel.  You’ll probably want a barrel vise and wrench for that, and you’ll need those later anyway.

Then you’ll need a new barrel with the correct threads, and of course chambered for .308.

You’ll need to fit the barrel to the action  - which will require the above vise and wrench. Plus you’ll need headspace gauges, and most likely a lathe to adjust your headspace.

You’ll need to fit the sights.  You might need to turn down the barrel to fit the sights and/or to fit the existing stock and hardware.  You might also need to shorten the barrel and crown it. You’ll need to blue or otherwise finish the barrel.

You might need to block off the magazine well for the slightly shorter round, though maybe not.

It’s your rifle, of course - but IMHO the trouble and/or expense isn’t worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top