Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 12:01:34 PM EDT
I am trying to decide if I want to buy one of their 1903 rifles or a rack grade Garand (I already have a Service grade H&R M1 from them). What kind of condition are they at this point? Pretty much picked-over with mostly junk left, or do they still turn out some good-condition rifles for the most part? Also, I suppose I should try and buy the one that's at the most risk of disappearing....are the USGI rackers or the 1903s more in danger of extinciton?

I tried to do some searches (on this and other sites), but mainly only found a little info on the A3s. Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am trying to decide if I want to buy one of their 1903 rifles or a rack grade Garand (I already have a Service grade H&R M1 from them). What kind of condition are they at this point? Pretty much picked-over with mostly junk left, or do they still turn out some good-condition rifles for the most part? Also, I suppose I should try and buy the one that's at the most risk of disappearing....are the USGI rackers or the 1903s more in danger of extinciton?

I tried to do some searches (on this and other sites), but mainly only found a little info on the A3s. Thank you.

From what I heard, you're too late.  They are out of 1903s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I heard, you're too late.  They are out of 1903s.

I thought they were only out of the 1903A3s, not the regular 1903s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They're not out of the '03s, they're out of the 03A3s.

ETA: 3 minutes....how I did not see that?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Ah, good to know.  I didn't know that.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I heard from one of the gents on Parallax Bill's site, do not bother with a 1903 through the mail because it is such a wide range of conditions on the 03s. If you are going to make a trip to pick it yourself then you MAY find a good one.

The USGI RG Garands are lower inventory than the 1903s.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the rack grade garand.  A MUCH better value.  The remaining 03's look like shit.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Get the rack grade garand.  A MUCH better value.  The remaining 03's look like shit.

I was at Perry last summer, and the O3's looked rough,
however
I did order 2 when they were first available a few years ago, (high # rock island and C stock rem)
both had been refinished, and both have stocks that look like crap, but both have very good barrels and shoot great, (both gauged under 3, the rock island has a 33dated SA barrel)

but if I were to buy another, it would be in person at the north store!

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at Perry last summer, and the O3's looked rough,
however
I did order 2 when they were first available a few years ago, (high # rock island and C stock rem)
both had been refinished, and both have stocks that look like crap, but both have very good barrels and shoot great, (both gauged under 3, the rock island has a 33dated SA barrel)

but if I were to buy another, it would be in person at the north store!

Most places have a handpicked fee of about $10-$20.  If I got to hold and inspect a rifle before purchasing it, that, to me, would be worth at least $50-$100 depending upon the rifle.  I would rather pay $500 for a 1903 and pick it myself than pay $400 for a CMP luck-of-the-draw rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a SA Hi# 1903 and received it a few weeks ago.  The rifle's metal and barrel condition were excellent.  The Greeks had also reparked it so the finish was just about %100.  The wood.... well was what one would expect from an old warrior.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I ordered a SA Hi# 1903 and received it a few weeks ago.  The rifle's metal and barrel condition were excellent.  The Greeks had also reparked it so the finish was just about %100.  The wood.... well was what one would expect from an old warrior.

Aftermarket wood runs $100 for the stock from boyds and about $25 for the handguard.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top