Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 10:11:34 PM EDT
I have started cleaning up my SOG Savage Enfield No.4 Mk.1*. As I get the cosmo off, I am seeing what appears to be light rust that is making the metal appear a little darker than the rest.

Would I ruin the rifle if I reblued it or parkerized it?

What finish would be more accurate, blueing or parkerizing?

I like the appearance of parkerizing better but don't want to do that if it is inaccurate for the 1943 time period that the rifle was produced in.

As always, thanks for any feedback! I'm a newbie trying to learn.

Regards,

Brent
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Use some 0000 steel wool and synthetic oil and gently rub away the rust.  And then wait.  Do not rush to refinish the metal.  Get a book or go to www.gunboards.com and post your question on the Lee-Enfield Forum.  There are L-E guys from all over the world and they will give you advice.

Refinishing a firearm reduces its collector value 99.9999999% of the time...usually in a big way.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
WWII Enfields were finished by a process know as oil blackening....

Post war refurbs, the guns were actually painted using a paint called "Suncorite"....

So you could use a good, high temp engine or bar-b-q type paint. I have had success with this in the past. This was on a jungle carbine that was basically in the white....I typically don't do this!

I used a good, high temp engine paint. After I thoroughly cleaned and degreased the metal with acetone, I sprayed it using light coats, letting it dry for a little between coats. Then I let it dry pretty well for an hour or two, then buffed it with a soft cotton cloth.

The result really looked like a smooth, oil blackened finish. It was pretty much perfect.

But I would suggest using some 0000 steel wool and Hoppes on the rust. Do the whole gun, and if there is still finish left, leave it. Collector value really suffers when things are re-finished....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:05:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Several years ago I purchased an Enfield, most of the finish was gone and the rifle looked bad. I had a gunsmith reblue it in a black matte finish, came out looking very nice. If you plan on keeping the rifle you might think about having the metal refinished.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WWII Enfields were finished by a process know as oil blackening....

Some may have been, my Long Branch is parkerized, the US made Savage ones may well be park'd also.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Savage guns were blued, and the reddish rusty patina is common on them.

I'd hit it very lightly with 0000 steel wool and some oil, and be done with it. I'm a purist tho, and don't want to ruin its value in 10 years from aggressive refinishing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top