Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2006 7:43:52 PM EDT
There's probably a simple answer to this, but how do I open sealed ammo tins?  I have a sealed tin of 8mm mauser ammo that I bought at a gunshow last weekend, and it didn't occur to me to ask how to open it.  I'm sure that I can get it open in a very destructive way, but is there a more straightforward way to open it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually beat them open with a hammer Or use one of these -

Usually the come with one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:47:23 PM EDT
[#2]
if you didn't get an opener with the can, you can use  K-Bar
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have access to a handheld grinder you can grind the lip off the spam can and then just lift that center out.  I've seen some really neat work on these.

I tried it with a dremel tool and it would take forever.

Hammer and a chisel works to make a hole big enough to get it out.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
There's probably a simple answer to this, but how do I open sealed ammo tins?  I have a sealed tin of 8mm mauser ammo that I bought at a gunshow last weekend, and it didn't occur to me to ask how to open it.  I'm sure that I can get it open in a very destructive way, but is there a more straightforward way to open it?

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hammer and a chisel works to make a hole big enough to get it out.

+1.............works everytime
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#5]
i use'd tin snip's and a pair of channel locks to roll back the lid a ways then poured the ammo out  side sthat i got a tinof 762x54 that had the can opener,, and now i just use that!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The can openers are a POS and hard to use.  They work but don't be in a hurry.  Maybe someone clever enough can build and sell a large heavy duty rotary opener!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Blow torch works great  ! !

NO  ! !  NO ! !    NO ! ! ! !

Just joking  ! ! ! !

If you PM me your mailing address I'll send you one of those "ammo spam can" can openers . . . .

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
One on the way . . . . . . . .
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One on the way . . . . . . . .

Many, many thanks.  It arrived today!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top