Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2006 12:43:14 PM EDT
Last week a buddy of a club member shows up at our gun club for a club function and he comes up to me and asks if I know anything about M1 carbines. After talking to him (nice older gent) he says he wants to learn how to clean and lube his M1 carbine. I tell him to show up for breakfast today and I will walk him thru the basics and loan him some books. Lots of stuff is going on so I don't get lots of time to ask about his gun but we agree to meet.
Today he shows holding a cardboard box which he hands to me "here it is". First thing I notice is a old brown mailing label with a return address of "ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL" It is addresed to the old gent himself.
He bought this gun direct from the GOV in the early 60's or late 50's and doesn't remember for how much.
He says he shot it a couple of times with the last time being at least 30 years ago. The mfg is Standard Ordanance (STD.ORD stamped reciever) Serial # in the 2,000,000 range.It has an Underwood barrel with the bayo lug. I seem to remember that bayo lug barrels were later,does this mean it was refurbished?
Condition is very excelent,I wouldn't be surprised if it had been unfired before he shot it,it is that nice. Stock is very clean with sharp Cartoush (sp?) actually the grain is slightly rough as if it has not been handeled or carried much.I told him he might have a gun with some collector value and it certainly has plenty of value just from it's condition. He insisted that he wanted to shoot it so we lubed it up and went to it.
It of course shot very well because it has a like new barrel and a sweet crisp trigger.
My big question is although I know that standard ordanance did something like 4-5% of total production
are they one of the brands that carry a big interest to collectors? Should I tell this guy to baby this and sell it to a collector or should he just take care of it and enjoy shooting it?
Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Standard Products was the manufacturer.  Probably in the area of $600-650.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Standard Products was the manufacturer.  Probably in the area of $600-650.

For a DCM gun with the box and paperwork (I presume)? I bet upwards of $1K. Folks pay crazy money for 50s/60s DCM stuff with the papers. Moreso if the box is included.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I asked the old gent if he had any paperwork and he thought he did not other than the box.Would the dcm have shipped directly from Rock Island Arsenal or were there other programs where a private citizen could buy a M1 Carbine? I should have asked the Gent more questions but didn't want to appear a vulture.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I asked the old gent if he had any paperwork and he thought he did not other than the box.Would the dcm have shipped directly from Rock Island Arsenal or were there other programs where a private citizen could buy a M1 Carbine? I should have asked the Gent more questions but didn't want to appear a vulture.

It would have shipped directly from the arsenal. The DCM was the only game in town for direct from Uncle Sam purchasing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top