Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:38:19 PM EDT
I have a No4Mk1 Enfield rifle thats matching...however it has a headspacing issue....apparently I have too much.  I brought it to the range, got some rounds off with it, then a whole string of my attempts were just "clicks" and no "booms"...checked the rounds and the primers were ever so slightly indented.  The ammo ran flawlessly in my No1Mk3  which has less headspace than it should (even though it performs fine and passes all other checks ive done on it, as it is also all matching).  

How do you change headspacing on a No4Mk1 rifle, can it be done?  Do you have to get a whole new bolt assembly?  

I also need a few screws for the barrel bands, as it is I have a twisty tie holding the furniture on the rifle and it rattles around..where can I get spare parts?  

thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:00:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Enfields have replaceable bolt heads.  Bolt heads are marked with either a 0, 1, or 2.  Remove your bolt and see what size bolt head you have.  Unless it is already a 2, you can go a size up.  This will likely cure your problem.  

Please be aware that the bolt head on a No. 4 is very different from a bolt head for a No. 1 Mk 3
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:51:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Before changing headspace on your rifle, have a gunsmith run a no-go gauge in your gun. You could have week firing pin spring. This will also cause proublems you discribe.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#3]
where can I get these spare parts at, Numerich?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to start with a set of headspace gages.  The higher number boltheads are not as common as they once were.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I have a No4Mk1 Enfield rifle thats matching...however it has a headspacing issue....apparently I have too much.  I brought it to the range, got some rounds off with it, then a whole string of my attempts were just "clicks" and no "booms"...checked the rounds and the primers were ever so slightly indented.  The ammo ran flawlessly in my No1Mk3  which has less headspace than it should (even though it performs fine and passes all other checks ive done on it, as it is also all matching).  

How do you change headspacing on a No4Mk1 rifle, can it be done?  Do you have to get a whole new bolt assembly?  

I also need a few screws for the barrel bands, as it is I have a twisty tie holding the furniture on the rifle and it rattles around..where can I get spare parts?  

thanks

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Make absolutely sure the bolt, firing pin and channel as well as the spring are completely cleaned, lubed and straight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanks

Whoa!

Headspace and firing pin protrusion are two entirely different things. Light strikes aren't always (seldom is more like it) an indicator of excessive headspace.

The firing pin channel may be blocked with crud, the firing pin spring may be weak, or the firing pin may be worn. The firing pin protrusion should measure .050", so measure it with the bolt cocking piece in the "fired" position, and see how much firing pin is sticking out. If it's properly protruding, then disassemble the bolt and check the firing pin and replace the spring and see if that doesn't fix it.

The Enfield headspaces on the rim of the round, so headspacing a No4 is very easy, and as it happens easy to fix if it is indeed out of spec but I suspect your issue is firing pin and not headspace.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top