Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 2:13:12 PM EDT
link

Just looking at these rifles. says the reciever is from 1898.  
Would these be safe to shoot?  Kinda old, but I guess people are still shooting WW1 Springfields.

Also, this seems a steep price for a Mosin, even if it is Finnish.

Does anyone have one?  Run though surplus 7.62x54 fine?

Any comments welcome

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Just looking at these rifles. says the reciever is from 1898.
Would these be safe to shoot? Kinda old, but I guess people are still shooting WW1 Springfields.

It is always best to have it checked out, but they are safe to shoot. Many of the early recvrs rifles were rebarreled by the Finns.

Also, this seems a steep price for a Mosin, even if it is Finnish.

Anything Finn marked (SA) will bring a premium these days. There were less of them then the Soviet rifles and represent an interesting note in history.

Does anyone have one? Run though surplus 7.62x54 fine?

Yes they run 7.62x54r just fine. If you are just looking for a Mosin then get one of the refurb ones that sell between $70 and $100. I think the whole SA marked deal has gotten a bit out of hand. Even though I own a few myself.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#2]
An Finnish M39 is a much, much better rifle than a $75 91/30.

I have two M39s, both on antique (pre-1898) receivers. They shoot surplus 54R just fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
An Finnish M39 is a much, much better rifle than a $75 91/30.

I have two M39s, both on antique (pre-1898) receivers. They shoot surplus 54R just fine.

+1, and its even better when its "D" marked.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#4]
No problem with the old receivers.  Quality of the metal is good, and when the Finns rebuilt their rifles, they did it right.   In order to pass muster, they had to shoot below 2 MOA.  Even the M16 is only required to shoot 4 MOA to pass quality standards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the replies.  I'm seriously considering pickuping up one or two of these rifles.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top