Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 3:13:01 PM EDT
I'm redoing the stock of my FR-8 since it looked extremely crappy when I bought it. However, i'm having a nearly impossible time removing the initial finish with just 0000 steel wool and liquid varnish remover. I went over the entire stock about three times already and it doesn't even look to have penetrated the finish in some places. Anyone have any idea as to why it's taking so much to remove it?

I was just going to use the 0000 steel wool and varnish remover, take off as much of the old finish as possible, then apply BLO liberally until it had a relatively nice finish.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Kind of hard to judge it from here with limited information.

It sounds like you need a much better varnish remover though.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm redoing the stock of my FR-8 since it looked extremely crappy when I bought it. However, i'm having a nearly impossible time removing the initial finish with just 0000 steel wool and liquid varnish remover. I went over the entire stock about three times already and it doesn't even look to have penetrated the finish in some places. Anyone have any idea as to why it's taking so much to remove it?

I was just going to use the 0000 steel wool and varnish remover, take off as much of the old finish as possible, then apply BLO liberally until it had a relatively nice finish.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#2]
There are about 85 different ways to refinish old military stocks.  I'm not sure varnish remover is going to do you much good because very few military rifles used varnish, the Russians being the only ones that I can think of.  Most likely you're dealing with an oil finish of somekind or other.

I use Easy Off oven cleaner.  Let it sit for a few minutes.  Hot water to rinse it off with.  Repeat as necessary.  Some will say its to harsh for wood.  I haven't noticed any problems.  I've also used Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) with some success.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Easy off worked great for the 3 C&Rs I've had to refinish
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top